Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngeredTree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Boston, MA
Yeah, I'm a total mac user of course, but I was wondering if there was a browser I could recommend to my computer illiterate PC friends in college. Thanks.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...Firefox...or Mozilla (or firefox and thunderbird) if they want to ditch that virus-spreading program Outlook as well....oh yeah!

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Hey Outlook is still really good and personly I like it better than Thunderbird. It just more powerful (mind you I do use that extra power it has in it so I not giving it up but IE is just weak compared to the power of firefox)

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
I've tried Firefox, but it's way too slow to open. Camino opens faster for me. Also, I have 3 rows of Bookmark toolbar favorites. Camino puts them on separate lines. Firefox only has one line. Camino gets my vote.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
kirk26 said:
I've tried Firefox, but it's way too slow to open. Camino opens faster for me. Also, I have 3 rows of Bookmark toolbar favorites. Camino puts them on separate lines. Firefox only has one line. Camino gets my vote.

But seeing as how we're talking about Windows, your vote doesn't count.

Lee Tom

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I just use Internet Explorer witht the Google Pop-Up Blocker. Works great for me.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Kingsnapped said:
I really enjoyed the mouse-gestures with Opera. Maybe it wouldn't be bad if people actually registered it and got rid of the advertisement.
Why pay when you can get it as a free extension/plug-in with FireFox which doesn't force a huge ad in your face to begin with.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
FuzzyBallz said:
Why pay when you can get it as a free extension/plug-in with FireFox which doesn't force a huge ad in your face to begin with.
I assume you're talking about AdBlock, and I agree, use Firefox on Windows and check out AdBlock (adblock.mozdev.org), it's pretty powerful and works really well. It's a lot better than the built-in "block all images from [domain]" contextual menu item.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Um....I don't think he's talking about the adverts, but its good to know about a PithHelmet type app for Firefox as well. Thanks. ;)

He's talking about mouse gestures being available on Opera. It would be good, but no way I'd pay to use a browser unless it was THAT much better than any other browser out there today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.