Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
My 600MHz iBook (10.3.5) just started having this problem. When I wake it from sleep (to the login screen), there's no mouse pointer and the computer doesn't seem to respond to any keyboard or trackpad inputs.

I've had to force shut down (hold down power button) and restart. The really scary thing is that I've then had trouble restarting: when the initial gray screen comes up, I get the flashing finder/question mark symbol indicating that the computer can't find the startup drive! I tried restarting several times, with the same results.

The really weird thing is, I went to get my OS disks to boot from CD, and for some reason tried just restarting with the CD tray open. It worked! I have had the problem twice now (in 24 hours) and both times fixed it the same way. The second time, to try to make sure it wasn't coincidence, I tried restarting multiple times with the CD tray closed - no luck. Then, the first time I tried with the tray open - success.

I've been running 10.3.5 since it came out, with no problems til now.

Once, way back when, using 10.3.4, I had a similar problem that I attributed to having the 'Sidetrack' trackpad driver installed. The computer would occasionally hang on wake from sleep, but would restart fine. I reverted to the stock driver, and it fixed the problem right up - no problems again til now. Seems this is a bug others have with 'Sidetrack', but I don't have that program installed and haven't for some time.

Anyway, the CD tray angle is certainly new. Anyone seen any similar problems, or better yet, know of any fixes?

Thanks!

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
more info...

Since it happened last, I've been running with the CD tray open. No problems.

Just now, while running Safari, I closed the empty CD tray then got the spinning beach ball. The tray wouldn't re-open using the keyboard, so I mechanically opened it (paperclip method), and the computer eventually came back.

Just tried putting in a CD. No response from the drive (don't hear it spin) and the disk doesn't show up in the finder. After 30 seconds or so, beach ball. I have to force eject (paperclip), then after another 30 seconds or so, the computer comes back.

Looking like a hardware problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.