Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjohnson311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I just bought a new 3GS. As I understand it, it comes with a 1 year manufacture warranty. If you buy Apple Care this gets extended to 2 years. Is there any good reason for buying Apple Care? If my phone were to break after the first year, I'd probably just go buy a new one.

I assume AT&T has some discount on new iPhones after one year of ownership. Probably not $200, but at least a discount.

I already spent some benjamins on the new phone, I'm just having a hard time shelling out more money for insurance. Thanks for your help.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
1. It gets extended another year*... wait until your one year is almost up before extending it, if you choose to.

2. The discount is usually every two years, unless you have certain plans in which case it is 18 months.

3. If you decide to keep it after the one year mark then yes it is very worth it, $69 (i think is what it is) for one year* warranty as compared to spending $499+ for a new iPhone... do the math.

*was corrected as shown in links below.

Still stand by the discount facts for AT&T

1. It gets extended another 2 years... wait until your one year is almost up before extending it, if you choose to.

2. The discount is usually every two years, unless you have certain plans in which case it is 18 months.

3. If you decide to keep it after the one year mark then yes it is very worth it, $69 (i think is what it is) for two year warranty as compared to spending $499+ for a new iPhone... do the math.

1) I don't believe that is true. I think it creates a 2 year warranty from the purchase date. But I would need to look into it for confirmation

2) Not true either. I don't remember the specific dates but the purchasers of the 3g (summer 08) were eligible to upgrade either around last october (about 15 months), or i believe the LATEST this March (20 months). That was dependent on the price of their plans.

3) Oh yeah that's very worth it... assume of course in that first year you had never dropped your phone or exposed it to water or extreme temperatures (transfering from warm to cold can cause condensation triggering the water sensor). Because if there is any sight of damage (water or from dropping) your warranty will be voided. Then also your applecare is worthless in case of a lost/stolen iphone, cracked screens, water damage, or any other physical damage. but if your iphone is still in pristine condition after 1 year of use and your software/hardware happens to fail through no cause of your own... yeah then it'll be worth it :)

P.S. I didn't get the applecare in case you didn't notice. and I ALSO don't use a case, I'm such a rebel.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
1. It gets extended another 2 years... wait until your one year is almost up before extending it, if you choose to.

This is incorrect. While AppleCare on Macs extend the 1 year warranty to 3 years, AppleCare on iPhones and iPods extend the 1 year warranty to 2 years.

Don't buy it now. Make that decision in month 10. Set yourself a calendar reminder.

acpp_barchart_20091029.jpg

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i never get applecare i dont break my things but im not one of those annoying people who are overprotective either i usually have a very good condition when the next iphone comes out and i always sell it for the price of the new one so thats y i dont need it

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
I would say get it because I regret not getting it. Ive had the iPhone 3G from day 1 and I had to get a battery replacement done outside of Apple because I didn't have a warranty. I spent 60 for a new battery, and there are other issues w/ my phone (my WiFi doesnt work) so it is a good idea unless you wanna try one of those 3=party insurance things.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Any extended warranty is only worth it if your device fails. So basically you are paying for the warranty in the hopes that it does fail.

My belief is that a consumer product's reliability should stand on its own merit and if it needs an extended warranty, then it's not worth getting.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
It doesn't cover, theft, loss, water damage or physical so Apple Care is a big waste of money. I'd rather they offer some sort of insurance but Apple is too greedy to do right by their customers.:rolleyes:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It doesn't cover, theft, loss, water damage or physical so Apple Care is a big waste of money. I'd rather they offer some sort of insurance but Apple is too greedy to do right by their customers.:rolleyes:

Why should Apple offer insurance for these things?
Homeowners covers many of those items and there are 3rd party insurance options available
Check here

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Why should Apple offer insurance for these things?
Homeowners covers many of those items and there are 3rd party insurance options available

Excuses excuses! That's complete BS, I should be able to walk out of my providers retail store (AT&T) and purchase insurance right then and there just like I can do with any cell phone I buy. Just another thing that the iPhone "dont"...... insurance :rolleyes:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

3. If you decide to keep it after the one year mark then yes it is very worth it, $69 (i think is what it is) for two year warranty as compared to spending $499+ for a new iPhone... do the math.

+2

I will be getting it for my 3GS come July

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
That's actually not a bad deal. I wonder if people are in the look out on eBay for not working 3GS phones and do this $199 swap.

It happens everyday. They make people feel good by offering then $100 - $150 for the phone, swap it for $199, then sell it for $450 - $500 as brand new.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
That's actually not a bad deal. I wonder if people are in the look out on eBay for not working 3GS phones and do this $199 swap.

I think so, considering most broken phones on ebay go for ~$350 plus a $199 replacement so $549. Still cheaper then buying new though. People selling broken phones probably are not aware of it though.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah its no wonder I see all these high bids for these broken/not working iPhones on there. I used to wonder why people would want a broken phone.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Any extended warranty is only worth it if your device fails. So basically you are paying for the warranty in the hopes that it does fail.

My belief is that a consumer product's reliability should stand on its own merit and if it needs an extended warranty, then it's not worth getting.

No wait, it'd have to be your bull.

(Sorry, I had to go with the Tommy Boy quote on that one, after all the warranty/guarantee talk.):)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I usually buy Apple Care with all my stuff. Macbook Pro, Iphone 3GS etc.

I take advantage of the coverage and piece of mind it offers me, and if and when I sell my Apple device, I just return the warranty to Apple for a pro-rated refund.

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but in NY the law is you are able to get money back on your warranty if you no longer have a use for it. You usually end up getting a decent amount of money back depending on how long you've used it.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I dont know if Apple Care for the iPhone works like it does for Macbooks, but you were only allowed to buy applecare for a macbook no later than 15 days after you bought it.

jjohnson311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to hold off on AppleCare. I tend to be pretty responsible with my phones. I've always had the $5 insurance on every phone I've had in the past and was surprised that wasn't the case with the iPhone.

I'm new to ATT. At one year what are my options for buying a new iPhone? How bout contract completion at 2 years?

lascott

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Baltimore
I dont know if Apple Care for the iPhone works like it does for Macbooks, but you were only allowed to buy applecare for a macbook no later than 15 days after you bought it.

That's false.. you have to buy it before the current warranty expires (i.e. 1 year).

you have a year to buy the iPhone applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.