Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've been through a couple and 1password is the only one I've stuck with for more than 2 years now.

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I bought 1Password the day after I bought my 1st iMac. 1Password is probably the one thing I could not do without now, at all. It makes life so much easier.

Not only is it a great tool for storing your logins and serial numbers, you can also generate passwords for any new sites you join with a simple click.

You will not be disappointed at all.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
KeePassX is my choice. The big reason is I can use the it on Mac and Windows, which is essential since my work machine is Windows. If 1Password had a Windows port I'd likely look more closely at it.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
i started usign 1 password yesterday after using Last pass for a few years i love it the only thing i miss from last pass is being able to log in remotely and log in to my account but i understand 1password is working on the problem.

If you have a iPhone/iPod Touch get the pro app to another handy addition.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Another 1Password users and have been since moving from Windows 18 months ago. Prior to that I used PasswordPlus which I think has a OS X version (check with DataViz).

Did not care much for PasswordPlus, especially after using 1Password and its tight integration with the browsers.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
i started usign 1 password yesterday after using Last pass for a few years i love it the only thing i miss from last pass is being able to log in remotely and log in to my account but i understand 1password is working on the problem.

If you have a iPhone/iPod Touch get the pro app to another handy addition.

what about dropbox? have you tried using it? It allows you to access 1password from any computer with internet. But I guess the only issue is it doesn't actually autofill your passwords; I believe copy and paste is in order.

Whereas lastpass, if I'm understanding it correctly, will allow you to autofill on any desired computer you want. You just have to download the plug-in for your browser. Of course this assumes you are allowed to download things on the computer you need it on. At work I can't. But I also can't access dropbox... so... :(

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
LastPass is a cloud application. That means it could be cracked. Given the service is nothing but passwords and confidential information, it will become target for crackers and thieves.

Thank you, no. I'll stick to 1Password on my Mac Pro and iPhone and sync them manually. Protecting those 2 locations is going to be easier, and I am less of a target, than LastPass will be.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
LastPass is a cloud application. That means it could be cracked. Given the service is nothing but passwords and confidential information, it will become target for crackers and thieves.

Kind of a moot point since most of the passworded sites you're protecting are accessible anywhere as well. I'm not advocating LastPass over 1Password because of this, but some perspective should be maintained.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
At this point in cloud computing, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. But saving highly confidential information like passwords or CC info in a cloud application does not feel safe, at least to me.

Kind of a moot point since most of the passworded sites you're protecting are accessible anywhere as well. I'm not advocating LastPass over 1Password because of this, but some perspective should be maintained.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
1password is kind of expensive. $8 for the pro version on the 'touch plus $40 on the desktop. I am near the beginning of the trial and so far I'm lukewarm. I paid for the itouch app but I don't think I'll bother with the desktop app. It does wifi sync with the desktop but truncates long notes without warning (on the touch) which is darned inconvenient. I type something in at the top and the bottom of my note goes down the bit bucket. Yuck.

I used splashid on palmos and now they have it available for os x and iphone so I'll give it a try before deciding. Another reason I like splashid is there is a bb version and an android version. I use a bb but I'm thinking of switching to a Droid. So for now the jury is out...

I should also mention I don't really like lastpass because it is too browser centric. I want to simply look stuff up and type it in because most of the passwords I'm dragging around are for work systems that aren't accesible through a browser anyway.

ellenm

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2010
I use LastPass but that is because I go between Mac and Windows machines and 1Password doesn't work on Windows. I like LastPass and paid for the pro version so I could get the iPhone application as well.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I use LastPass but that is because I go between Mac and Windows machines and 1Password doesn't work on Windows. I like LastPass and paid for the pro version so I could get the iPhone application as well.

Yes, 1Password is not cross-platform compatible. PasswordPlus is but then you have to sync between OS X and Windows. This is a case for a Cloud application and I'm glad it works.

It's secure as far as you can tell. All of your passwords used to access things important to you (hmm, like all your other passwords?) should be complex.

1Password gives you an indication of how strong the passwords are. It can also generate passwords based on preferences set. I find websites the limiting factor. They either don't allow really long passwords, or they restrict the type of characters that can make up a password. In this day and age, that is just stupid, IMHO. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.