Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
Well, I ordered a Dual 2.5GHz G5 months ago, it's shipping Friday. I have the 9800 card in it, but was wondering if I should get the 6800.. should I?

I don't game a lot on Macs (only because my old G4 iMac wasn't good at it), I don't do any video editing, except now in high school, I have TV Production class and would start doing video editing..

With my developer discount, the 6800 doesn't RAPE me, but I wouldn't mind having the extra cash. Should I get it?

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Kenny Pollock said:
Well, I ordered a Dual 2.5GHz G5 months ago, it's shipping Friday. I have the 9800 card in it, but was wondering if I should get the 6800.. should I?

I don't game a lot on Macs (only because my old G4 iMac wasn't good at it), I don't do any video editing, except now in high school, I have TV Production class and would start doing video editing..

With my developer discount, the 6800 doesn't RAPE me, but I wouldn't mind having the extra cash. Should I get it?

The ATI Radeon 9800 XT is a very capable card. There is nothing slow about it, and (obviously) until the introduction of the 6800, it was the fastest Mac 3D card you could buy. Even if you start gaming quite a bit on your Mac, the 9800 will do a great job. Given the relatively high cost of the 6800 (even with a developer discount it's still an expensive upgrade), I would say unless you absolutely want to have the fastest possible gaming/3D system, or if you are connecting up a 30" Cinema Display, save some money and stick with the stock 9800. Put the money you save towards a holiday or something else :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Kenny Pollock said:
I don't game a lot on Macs (only because my old G4 iMac wasn't good at it), ....

Any G5 with GeForce 6800 will be good at gaming, especially the Dual 2.5 GHz. So if that was the main reason not to game on a Mac, well the GO GET IT!

Man, o man... if I were to get any discount... I would get a few! :p

I have ordered it when it was announced, but probably gotta wait another month orso before actually receiving it :(

The biggest reason not to get it is the deilvery problem.....
I wouldn't wait another few months for that card.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you can sell that 9800xt for a fair price on ebay to recoup most of the money spent on it, if you dont want to bother ebaying it, i'll be happy to take it off your hands for free, and i'll even pay for the shipping :p.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well, you can get one, but its been pushed back to late October now. I know that sucks to the people who bought the 30" display! They'll probably get that sometime within the next 3 weeks, but won't be able to actually use it until probably November!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.