Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyin' Hawaiian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
After hours of searching i can not come up with a straight answer. My network is currently set up as so----- Cable modem to my airport EXTREME and have 3 airport EXPRESSES connected to the EXTREME wirelessly. 2 of them i use for airtunes. Can i use the 3rd to connect a NAS drive and use time machine on my mac to backup to it? If so what settings do i need to enable on my EXTREME as well as the EXPRESS. Thanks guys!!

bigbearf

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
NAS setup

Without knowing your setup better. I would suggest that you connect the NAS to the Airport Extreme via wired ethernet. That is the way I have my Airport Extreme connected and I use Time machine and it works great.
bigbearf

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
An Airport Express's USB port is for printer sharing, not a NAS. If the hard drive you want to use for a NAS has an Ethernet port, then you would be ok using the Airport Express as the entry point into your network.

However, as previously stated, you would be better off colocating the NAS hard drive with your Airport Extreme and plugging it in there - either to the USB or to the Ethernet port. That greatly simplifies your networking situation. Depending on what version of Airport Extreme you have, you probably have Gig-Ethernet which might give you some more speed. The Airport Express only has "Fast Ethernet" (100 megabits).

I have two Airport Expresses that I use for Airtunes and a separate base router for Internet and several hard-wired connections.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
After hours of searching i can not come up with a straight answer. My network is currently set up as so----- Cable modem to my airport EXTREME and have 3 airport EXPRESSES connected to the EXTREME wirelessly. 2 of them i use for airtunes. Can i use the 3rd to connect a NAS drive and use time machine on my mac to backup to it? If so what settings do i need to enable on my EXTREME as well as the EXPRESS. Thanks guys!!

Does your Airport Extreme have the latest firmware? I ask because I put a USB drive to my Time Capsule and can mount it on each drive, art the same time. You can even put a power USB2 4 port hub on that port and put drives or printers on it. I haven't used that drive because I have a local backup on my Mac Pro and for my Mac Book Pro. The external on my Time Capsule is used as a media share to all my LAN devices.

Now I gave my friend an Extreme for his Birthday and he put a USB drive on it and use Time Machine on that disk. He was able to do this after apple released a firmware update around a year ago to do this. It is just not supported officially though but it will work for Time Machine. Just backup locally connected to the Extreme for the first Time Machine backup. Then disconnect, the initial backup will be huge and will take a while. After that yopu can backup through the air because those incremental updates will go fast after that, through the air with no problem.

Flyin' Hawaiian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
It has all the latest a greatest updates....

What i am trying to achieve is to be able to pus the NAS in my safe and run the ethernet cable from the hard drive to the ethernet port on the express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.