Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exhibitionist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Everything has a yellow tint. I can't fix this issue. Nothing comes up in the Apple Hardware Test. What's weirder is that when I use the flurry screensaver, all the colors show up properly. When I degauss, the colors go normal as the screen shakes, but slowly turn yellow again as the pictures stops shaking. As I was typing this, the screen went back to normal colors. It flickers from yellow to normal and back again. What's going on? Is it a bad GPU? Bad monitor? What can I do to test it?

I'm on a Power Mac G5 with the default 64MB GeForce FX5200 Ultra.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
What monitor?
system preferences/Displays/color/white point

It's probably somewhere around 6500 instead of 9300. Which would make the display look a little yellow.

exhibitionist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Sun Baked said:
What monitor?
system preferences/Displays/color/white point

It's probably somewhere around 6500 instead of 9300. Which would make the display look a little yellow.
It's a Compaq FS940 CRT. I've had it for about 2.5 years. Like I said, as I was typing that previous post, the colors went back to normal. When I knock the monitor a bit, the colors sometimes switch (from yellow to normal and vice versa) now. I guess it's time to get a new one. :(

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
exhibitionist said:
It's a Compaq FS940 CRT. I've had it for about 2.5 years. Like I said, as I was typing that previous post, the colors went back to normal. When I knock the monitor a bit, the colors sometimes switch (from yellow to normal and vice versa) now. I guess it's time to get a new one. :(

I think the color tubes have become messed up, yup time for a new one

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Ok that try checking the vga cable and make sure it contected right. Try wigling the cable and watch the screen and see if it changes colors and you have to check it both at the CPU conection and the one in the monitor.

I had a simlare problems on a older CRT and above was how I traced it down and fixed it. Anolog singals run into problems if the conretion is not good.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
Nothing you can do really. You could consider to stop smoking so it doesn't happen again when you've got a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.