Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geo-white

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an app that would force my phone to ring, even when set for silent, if a call comes in from specific contacts.

For example, I am often in meetings where I must turn the ringer off, however, as happened the other day, what happens when my kids school calls because I need to come pick said kid up. I clearly would rather take THAT call, even if it is during a meeting.

And so, I'm looking for an app, or a program or whatever, would help me to make sure that certain calls always ring.

Any one know of anything?

GW

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an app that would force my phone to ring, even when set for silent, if a call comes in from specific contacts.

For example, I am often in meetings where I must turn the ringer off, however, as happened the other day, what happens when my kids school calls because I need to come pick said kid up. I clearly would rather take THAT call, even if it is during a meeting.

And so, I'm looking for an app, or a program or whatever, would help me to make sure that certain calls always ring.

GW

Apple is kind of lame when it comes to letting you have control of your phone.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hello everyone,

GW

Here's a workaround.

1) Don't touch the ringer. Instead, set a Default Ringtone of "Silent" (I can send you one, but it's part of our 100sounds app)

2) Assign specific ringtones to your desired contacts. May I suggest our AutoRingtone app (we have a number of free versions, and the PRO is on sale for just $0.99 for unlimited ringtones). It allows you to create TEXT-TO-SPEECH custom talking ringtones for each contact. Pretty cool, if I say so. PRO has 20+ voices and 100+ intro sound FX.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I'm pretty sure that doesn't do what the OP wants, which is to have a setting where all incoming calls are temporarily muted except a few. For this you have to have a switchable profile, which can't be done with a locked phone.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm pretty sure that doesn't do what the OP wants, which is to have a setting where all incoming calls are temporarily muted except a few. For this you have to have a switchable profile, which can't be done with a locked phone.

We have a lot of users using the Silent ringtone for just such a purpose. No jailbreaking required. Many use it permanently, but he could temporarily go to Settings -> Sounds -> Default Ringtone -> Silent.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Hello everyone,

GW

Yes, but you will need to Jailbreak your phone first.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I am looking to do the same thing and have not found a solution. I'm jailbroken, so an app in Cydia would be perfectly fine (and would be required to do this kind of tweak.)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why are people finding this so hard?

Step one find and add a silent ringtone.

Step two set custom tones (in contacts) for the important ones.

Step three when u go into a meeting leave the mute switch alone and tap settings > sounds then select your ringtone as the silent tone.

What happens. Ow is if anyone calls your phone won't ring but contact assigned ringtones bypass this and will ring!

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why are people finding this so hard?

Step one find and add a silent ringtone.

Step two set custom tones (in contacts) for the important ones.

Step three when u go into a meeting leave the mute switch alone and tap settings > sounds then select your ringtone as the silent tone.

What happens. Ow is if anyone calls your phone won't ring but contact assigned ringtones bypass this and will ring!
It's not that this is "so hard," it's that we don't want to go this route. It's faster and easier to simply flip the switch on the side before going to bed or heading into meetings. Your method also wouldn't work for text messages or push notifications, so I'd have to manually change all of those too. It's simply not a good method to achieve what we're looking to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.