Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Just had a weird thing happen on my XServe (G5, 10.5.8). I have it configured to email me problem notification reports, which it does. We have bad power, so I usually get a couple every week due to the UPS briefly kicking in on a power blip.

Yesterday, however, I got 33 emails from it, all sent at the same time. All of them are power warnings, but only two are from the time that the messages went out; the other 31 are from events spread across the past three or four months.

The queue wasn't completely stalled during this period; I've gotten at least a couple notifications during the period in question, though looking back at them the timestamps are also several days behind when they actually went out.

Thinking back, this happened once before (where I received a pile of notifications all at once for no apparent reason), so now I'm really wondering what's going on here. Also potentially problematic, since I might not get a message about a more serious error until some time later.

The server's system time is set correctly, and according to the headers the server's Postfix got it at the time of the event, but it didn't get sent to the outgoing SMTP server until days or weeks later.

Anybody seen something like this? Suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.