Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Hey, is it a good idea to buy a new ipod touch now, or is there a newer version at the horizon so that I should wait?

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I just upgraded from a 2G 32 GB to a 3G 64 GB and am currently being blown away by it. I was a little hesitant, because there's a high chance the next release it going to be something totally different (not just a memory + processor update). I'm also planning on getting an iPad so (maybe) I'll skip the next round of iPod Touches.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Just buy now and then put your touch up on ebay about 1-2 weeks before the new one comes out. that way people that don't really care about it buy it for about $100 more than it would go for than when the upadated ones come out.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I find it strange that people are already comparing the iPad and iPod Touch. I feel like they will serve two completely different functions. Can you actually picture yourself taking a walk or jogging while listening to music on your iPad? And what about when you just want to watch a TV show or video clip while laying in bed? For that matter, even doing some quick web surfing or email reading seems more appropriate for an iPhone or iPod. I don't picture my new iPad substituting for my iPod, I visualize it as a work tool, a PDA, and a great medium for reading PDFs and other documents. It seems more appropriate to compare the iPad and Mac Air than the iPad and iPod Touch.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I disagree.
the iPad to the iPod touch is a legit comparison because essentially all the iPad is, is an iPod Touch with a larger screen and more functions.
or more applications, if you wanted to look at it that way.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
And what about when you just want to watch a TV show or video clip while laying in bed?

I think the iPad would be perfect for this! To me, the touch's screen is too small to watch video comfortably, and if I'm lying in bed, size shouldn't matter to much. I do plan to keep my touch around for when I want to listen to music while walking around outside or doing chores around the house. But for most other applications I expect that the iPad would replace the touch.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Depends on your needs . . .

Hey, is it a good idea to buy a new ipod touch now, or is there a newer version at the horizon so that I should wait?

How do you plan on using the Touch? Do you need the functionality and size
of an iPad?

How bad do you want a camera on your Touch - and do you believe there
will ever be one on a Touch?

I, too, am very happy with my 64GB Touch. I don't have/need a laptop, so
this is just fine for me to take my contacts and calendar everywhere I go,
and make changes or additions to each as needed. If I'm desperate enough,
and have wi-fi access, then I can do some e-mail or browsing. If I need a
camera, then I bring my 12MP camera or use my 3.2MP 'phone. And of
course, a ton of music, videos, podcasts and audiobooks. Plus Skype . . .

Long answer, but buy it now . . . and have 6+ months of use before the
next version.

shel243

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Canada
Late adopteritis

It seems like the pace of technology increases every year and the product cycle is shorter all the time - therefore we often have to decide if/when to pull the trigger on a purchase, knowing full well the replacement is in development, at the very least, or perhaps, or even most likely, on the verge of being released.

Some people, the early adopters, will always go ahead and get what they want, regardless of having to pay a perceived premium or worrying about the "planned obsolescence" of their purchase, the cachet of having the latest and greatest being too much to resist.

Conversely many will hold off buying almost indefinitely to avoid being caught out by the "new and improved" or by a drop in price...and some of the latter will go ahead and make the purchase, while obsessively checking every possible source to ensure that they "got a good deal"...

I've always preferred to go ahead and get whatever shiny little bauble catches my eye, to never scan the adverts to see if it was cheaper elsewhere, to enjoy it to the full extent of my ability for as long as possible, or until a better shiny bauble comes along.....while I have made lots of purchases that have been replaced by a newer and "better" model relatively soon after, I can't recall a single instance where that new release has rendered my "old" item useless or redundant. "New and Improved" doesn't make what we already have "Old and Useless".

So go ahead and grab a touch now, enjoy it wholeheartedly and 6 months or so from now, you'll have the satisfaction of having used a great product for that period of time, that may still fulfill all your wants and needs.

And if the shiny new touch or iPad knocks your socks off, well, then you know what you'll end up doing.

Cheers, Shel

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
if I'm lying in bed, size shouldn't matter to much..

That's NOT WHAT SHE SAID!

You know the only problem with lying in bed is that the Touch and probably the Pad wants to change to Landscape when I want to stay in Portrait for reading. I really do wish there was a way to lock the screen orientation.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's NOT WHAT SHE SAID!

:p

You know the only problem with lying in bed is that the Touch and probably the Pad wants to change to Landscape when I want to stay in Portrait for reading. I really do wish there was a way to lock the screen orientation.

Some apps, like the Kindle and Stanza ereader apps, do have a "lock orientation" button. But it would be great if Apple implements this for Safari and iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.