Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170158-ipad.jpg

AppAdvice claims that the iPad pre-orders could start as early as February 25th. The pre-orders are said to be for the U.S. Wi-Fi model initially. It's really not much to go on, but Apple hasn't given any indication about their launch plans for the iPad. During their press event, Jobs simply said that the Wi-Fi version would be shipping in 60 days, which places it into the last week of March.

While Apple did allow for pre-orders for the iPhone 3GS, the original iPhone launch was on a first-come first-serve basis at retail stores. The Wi-Fi iPad, however, does not require any long term contracts to be set up, making pre-orders more likely a possibility. Apple would have to get FCC approval for the device before being able to place it on sale. AppAdvice, however, isn't a particularly reliable source of rumors as they previously claimed the iPhone 3GS would have an OLED screen and FM transmitter (both of which were not true).

As the actual launch approaches, many are hoping and speculating that there may be some unannounced software features for the iPad that might not have been finished at the time of the media event. It's not without precedent, as Apple did announce YouTube support for the original iPhone just 10 days before its actual launch.

Kevin Fox had noted that several of the iPhone/iPod Touch minor applications were missing from the iPad. These include Stocks, Weather, Voice Memo, Clock, and Calculator. He goes on to suggest that these minor apps could return as some sort of Dashboard-like widget system.

Article Link: Apple iPad Pre-Orders to Begin February 25th? Speculation about Other Features?

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
The "blank key" looks like the home key for me. Just a quick way to get back to the home screen. Not a huge deal.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The Apple Wireless keyboard has two "uncharacteristically blank keys." I understand they can be mapped because Macs have this ability, but it is not unlike Apple to release a keyboard with blank keys.

I really am hoping for a Dashboard multitasking solution.

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Os

they need better OS for iPad.
iPhone OS just makes this device a big iPod Touch

maybe you can use it as GPS :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The Apple Wireless keyboard has two "uncharacteristically blank keys." I understand they can be mapped because Macs have this ability, but it is not unlike Apple to release a keyboard with blank keys.

you're correct. adjusted.

arn

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Fingers crossed for a last minute iSight announcement. Possibly on the date of pre-order availability. That would be perfect to create buzz in the media.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I hope this is the same for the UK and the rest of the world too.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
another one of my masterpieces. why am i so awesome? :apple:

jk, i was actually very dissapointed at the iPad

jambobowron

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
if that is the home screen... then this 'widget' system be on the page to the left.. on the picture the dots at the bottom show is on the 2nd screen... (sorry if i missed that part in the article)

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I want to like this but I dont ... the OS i this size looks too much like windows.
It needs a osx dock and a camera at least

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
I'm right with you. I don't want to go ahead and pre-order a Wi-Fi model, then want the 3G...

If AT&T ever allows tehering I wonder if yiu will need to have a 3G ipad? My guess is that wifi ipad could be thethered as well since laptops have this functionality without 3G. Anyhow that would make the 3G ipad basically worthless since you always have your phone with you.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
february 25th is my 25th bday. it would be a nice gift from mr jobs if there is a camera for video chat in the thing. i would certainly buy one if there was.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
a dashboard would be nice. Something like Moblin. You'll have access to useful stuff like appointments, clock, weather between others.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/2548; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

GI kinds doubt it would ship that early. We can't preorder so that means FCC hasn't approved yet.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
they need better OS for iPad.
iPhone OS just makes this device a big iPod Touch

maybe you can use it as GPS :D

This is obviously just one guy's opinion, but I think people that say this don't realize just how useful of a tool the iPod Touch already is when you've got the right apps.

Personally I'd like an intermediate sized device somewhere between the Touch and the iPad. I'm going to look at these when they are actually in the store, but while I'd like a larger screen than my Touch has, not being able to put it in a pocket - even a big coat pocket - may be a deal breaker for me. I can't see any reason for me to own both an iPad and an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.