Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so it's very likely that the new mac pros will be announced next month. is anyone around here really going to get one? will anyone fold with it?

i personally hope that either the prices don't go up, or the the current ones get cheaper.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
so it's very likely that the new mac pros will be announced next month. is anyone around here really going to get one? will anyone fold with it?

i personally hope that either the prices don't go up, or the the current ones get cheaper.

I'll see what they have and the price of entry. I might decide to sell my current 8x '09 MP to get the new version if it is worth it.

I wonder what a 12 core will do for folding ppd? What kind of timeframe for bigadv units? Hmmm :D AND: what GPU's will be available for them and when the heck gpu folding will be supported on the Mac :confused: or maybe I'll get another "09 MP on sale so I can have 2 of them?

And while I'm at it: Blueray, 64 GB (or more) RAM (not that I could afford it), internal 2.5 inch SSD support is a MUST! In fact 4x2.5 inch plus 4x3.5 inch drives should be supported. Go Apple:apple:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'll see what they have and the price of entry. I might decide to sell my current 8x '09 MP to get the new version if it is worth it.

I wonder what a 12 core will do for folding ppd? What kind of timeframe for bigadv units? Hmmm :D AND: what GPU's will be available for them and when the heck gpu folding will be supported on the Mac :confused: or maybe I'll get another "09 MP on sale so I can have 2 of them?

And while I'm at it: Blueray, 64 GB (or more) RAM (not that I could afford it), internal 2.5 inch SSD support is a MUST! In fact 4x2.5 inch plus 4x3.5 inch drives should be supported. Go Apple:apple:

yeah i really hope the price doesn't go up. i have a feeling the 12 core will be more than $3299 though.

oh for folding it will have some crazy ppd. probably around 22 mins a frame on bigadv units, so around 45k ppd!!

yeah i hope they have a decent entry video card this time. like a nvidia 260 or something. and yeah we need gpu folding for the mac!

Don't you think this is carry over from this thread?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/866213/

yes and no. it is, but this one is directed to folding and distributed computing.

Depending on the price, I will be one of the first in line for the base model. If it doesn't appeal, the '08/'09 will still be great.

true. i hope the 12 core entry is the same price or cheaper than the 8 core entry now

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Someone claims 16:41 per frame on a 2.93Ghz 2x6 core Gulftown X5670.
That would be 28 hours per unit, is that close to 76,000 PPD?:eek:

And that is no even the 3.33Ghz version, although Mac Pro might top at 2.93Ghz anyway due to heat...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

And that is not even the 3.33Ghz version, although Mac Pro might top at 2.93Ghz anyway due to heat...

16:41 would be great! that would be almost half the time I'm getting with my "09 8 core 2.66Ghz (I'm doing about 28 min per frame).

They might have to go back to water cooling for the 3.33Ghz model, which would add cost, I hope it doesn't top out at over $4k, that would be too much I think.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I wish we could get review sites to include folding stats along with the game and other apps they do. I think that would give a better understanding of a machines usfulness for us anyway. I don't play games, not since donkey kong anyway, and don't most of the other apps they use for reviews.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Folding units change, so it is not so easy to benchmark.

A 3.33Ghz would not be less than $6k IMHO. But I don't even think they will offer it because of the 130W TDP per CPU vs 95W currently. We will be lucky to see a 2.93ghz for under $5k...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
We lost another spot for the team, 58 now. Unless we can get back above 300k PPD, we will not able to maintain oursleves. To gain places, we need to reach 500k PPD.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

And that is no even the 3.33Ghz version, although Mac Pro might top at 2.93Ghz anyway due to heat...

oh wow. under 17 min is very impressive. but i'm afraid of the price.

I wish we could get review sites to include folding stats along with the game and other apps they do. I think that would give a better understanding of a machines usfulness for us anyway. I don't play games, not since donkey kong anyway, and don't most of the other apps they use for reviews.

that would be nice. even though you have different type units, it would still be a nice benchmark.

We lost another spot for the team, 58 now. Unless we can get back above 300k PPD, we will not able to maintain oursleves. To gain places, we need to reach 500k PPD.

dang. yeah that stinks. i will be back in business in early April. i should be up better than before eventually, hopefully over 70k ppd. we'll see. but it's gonna take more than that

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
true. i hope the 12 core entry is the same price or cheaper than the 8 core entry now

It won't be: Westmere-EP listing

The cheapest 6-core CPU is $996 in bulk. For that, you either get 2.26 GHz at 60W, or 2.66 GHz at 95W.

And the fastest 95W part is 2.93 GHz at $1440. (Or, for the same price, a 3.06 GHz quad-core on the new process.)

The king daddy is 3.33 GHz at $1663 (at 130W,) or 3.46 GHz at the same price and power envelope for only four cores.

Also, the only six-core "single socket" CPU is 3.33 GHz, 130W, $999 - Same for both the "Core i7-980X" and the ECC-enabled equivalent "Xeon W3680". (For that matter, it's the only 32 nm "single socket" Socket 1366 chip at all, while they're making faster/lower-power quad-core Socket 1366 chips on the new process, they are only making one 32 nm chip for single-socket systems; I'm counting both the i7 and Xeon as the same chip.)

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Small price difference for the 3.33ghz dual part, hopefully apple can manage 2x135W...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Some guy claims 70k PPD with ONE hexacore chip overclocked above 4Ghz :eek: 22 mins per frame.

100k PPD for dual hexacore 3.33Ghz?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Some guy claims 70k PPD with ONE hexacore chip overclocked above 4Ghz :eek: 22 mins per frame.

dang. but the price for dual hexacore at that speed would be outrageous. probably $6k or more.

hey do you have links for some of this? i wouldn't mind checking it out. thanks

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008

Looks like with 22 mins per frame it should be 46k PPD, little confusion...

So maybe 85k PPD for dual 3.33Ghz. The overhead for dual seems to be less than 10%.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I keep debating whether to wait for the new Mac Pro or get something else NOW... Dang come on Apple!!! :D A couple GTX 295 GPU's and mobo to put them on ! But that would mean WINDOWS at least until GPU3 comes out for Linux :(

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Looks like with 22 mins per frame it should be 46k PPD, little confusion...

So maybe 85k PPD for dual 3.33Ghz. The overhead for dual seems to be less than 10%.

oh ok. that's still great PPD. but i'm afraid of the price

I keep debating whether to wait for the new Mac Pro or get something else NOW... Dang come on Apple!!! :D A couple GTX 295 GPU's and mobo to put them on ! But that would mean WINDOWS at least until GPU3 comes out for Linux :(

yeah. that's the thing with apple and the pro workstation market - not much choice with apple, and you'll pay more (depending on what you do and need).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
alright so i created this thread awhile ago, but the mac pros have been announced, and some are already getting them.

so is anyone getting a new one? gonna fold with it?

i would really like to have a 12 core mac pro, but i'd have to sell some of my current systems to justify it. if i could condense the number of systems i have, then that'd be a good thing. i think the low end 12 core mac pro could get close to the current output of all my machines combined :eek:

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I would also like to know the PPD for the 6 core and both 12 core machines, the latest bigadv are fast...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
alright so i created this thread awhile ago, but the mac pros have been announced, and some are already getting them.

so is anyone getting a new one? gonna fold with it?

i would really like to have a 12 core mac pro, but i'd have to sell some of my current systems to justify it. if i could condense the number of systems i have, then that'd be a good thing. i think the low end 12 core mac pro could get close to the current output of all my machines combined :eek:

I would have to sell some stuff to get one, maybe when I get profit sharing next February I will have enough money by then.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I would also like to know the PPD for the 6 core and both 12 core machines, the latest bigadv are fast...

well i don't know for the mac pros specifically, but we have a good estimate with other machines running the same processors

I would have to sell some stuff to get one, maybe when I get profit sharing next February I will have enough money by then.

profit sharing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.