Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
There's a billion people on right now! And I can barely get in... now I really have nothing to do at work! :(

Is everyone else having this problem?

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I am having the same problem. I have had no patients in the last 2 hours, so work is getting very boring. Then when I went on to this site, i got the 'The server is too busy, please try again later' message. :eek: The lead up to the Apple Expo is too great for some people :rolleyes:

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
vraxtus said:
There's a billion people on right now! And I can barely get in... now I really have nothing to do at work! :(

No. There's not a billion people on right now.

I just keep hitting the refresh button every 0.5 second hoping for news of the new iMac. :D

I'm singly handily taking down the forum! :cool:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Always happens near a big expo, we get record numbers you shoudl ahve seen the time APPLE leaked the g5 specs ... man that was sweet.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
musicpyrite said:
No. There's not a billion people on right now.

I just keep hitting the refresh button every 0.5 second hoping for news of the new iMac. :D

I'm singly handily taking down the forum! :cool:

I just wrote a script to do it for me. :D

One for here and one for the Apple store to order the first iMac g5 so I can have it by Christmas.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
very annoying.. especially when you just see news of the dual arm patent (which seems stupid in my mind) and you want to see the pictures in the forum...

ah well, patience...
yes, and i'll be getting up at 4 instead of 6 tomorrow :D

reality

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Man, all these people on at MR just to see a patent related to the old iMac design. I can't wait what the comments are going to be like when everybody's like, "Oh WOW! This looks nothing like those pictures!!!!" ;)

And yes, the G5 announcement........ooh, I had to change my pants.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Abstract said:
Man, all these people on at MR just to see a patent related to the old iMac design. I can't wait what the comments are going to be like when everybody's like, "Oh WOW! This looks nothing like those pictures!!!!" ;)

And yes, the G5 announcement........ooh, I had to change my pants.
You do know they have an adult product for people with that problem... ;)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
This probably has something to do with it:

Currently Active Users: 1687 (199 members and 1488 guests)
and we're several hours from the start of the keynote...

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Most users ever online was 2652, 01-06-2004 at 03:14 PM.

We are about 1,000 short of that right now. I doubt we'll pass that number, since a large part of the MacRumors audience will be asleep during the keynote.

However, even though I am a part of that audience, I will be staying up. :)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Freg3000 said:
We are about 1,000 short of that right now. I doubt we'll pass that number, since a large part of the MacRumors audience will be asleep during the keynote.

However, even though I am a part of that audience, I will be staying up. :)

I believe MR briefly got up to 2050 users today.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
MattG said:

Actually, it is 3AM EST (Eastern Standard Time) and 4AM EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). The times for most of the rest of the continental U.S. are 3AM CDT, 2AM MDT, and 1AM PDT.

Capt Underpants said:
That's weird. I keep getting an error message, saying that the forums are down due to the Apple Paris Expo keynote. It comes and goes...

I got that message too. I thought it was way too early to take down the forum, so I'm glad it's back. I don't know what I would do for the rest of the evening otherwise. :)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Elan0204 said:
Actually, it is 3AM EST (Eastern Standard Time) and 4AM EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). The times for most of the rest of the continental U.S. are 3AM CDT, 2AM MDT, and 1AM PDT.

I got that message too. I thought it was way too early to take down the forum, so I'm glad it's back. I don't know what I would do for the rest of the evening otherwise. :)

well, you're not going crazy (at least not in this case ;)) - I had them off for a bit making sure everything was set up right.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I hope the forum survives the onslaught that will be taking place in 6 hours...hopefully with most of the US asleep it will be easier going.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macmaniac said:
Maybe its time for Macrumors to invest in Akami hosting, maybe that way the forums would stay online, us poor vets can't get on with the flood of MR noobs;)

At realy busy times is it possible to filter out all but users with a certain existing post threshold to limit it to regulars?

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
paxtonandrew said:
I am having the same problem. I have had no patients in the last 2 hours, so work is getting very boring. Then when I went on to this site, i got the 'The server is too busy, please try again later' message. :eek: The lead up to the Apple Expo is too great for some people :rolleyes:

Just wait till the expo is over, and Apple doesn't announce anything other than the dual 2.5 G5s are actually shipping with 6800s in them :eek:

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Elan0204 said:
Or perhaps just to turn off guest access.

since it's shows like this that we get the majority of our new users, I think that's a bit harsh... The forums will be closed during the keynote - traffic will be directed into the irc channel (irc.krono.net: #macrumors) for live updates as they happen.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Mudbug said:
since it's shows like this that we get the majority of our new users, I think that's a bit harsh...

Oh, I didn't mean people wouldn't be able to register while guest access was off, just that they couldn't do anything until they did. Of course, if all the guests tried to sign up that would overload the servers too. I figured my method might help keep the forums open, while still allowing new people that really wanted to contribute to the forums to get in.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
now, everything has quieted down. in a couple of hours, the "i hate it (iMac design)" threads and the "i love it" threads pop up from nowhere.

speaking of opinions, i am still in love with my iMac g4. i wish to have the new design (see apple.com) and the arm with the dome...

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
redAPPLE said:
now, everything has quieted down. in a couple of hours, the "i hate it (iMac design)" threads and the "i love it" threads pop up from nowhere.

speaking of opinions, i am still in love with my iMac g4. i wish to have the new design (see apple.com) and the arm with the dome...

My connection kept getting killed last night and this morning. Seems to be better now though. There used to be a count of "how many users online at MacRumors" with the max being last Jan 6th. I wonder where that went/ :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.