Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
dwynnejr
macrumors newbie

Iphone Power/Lock Button Broken

Okay, so I've seen this written about, but seen no major fixes. Here's my deal, the power button will not do anything. It won't lock, it won't turn the phone off. This is fine and all, but if my phone ever dies, i don't think i'll be able to turn it on again. I just want to make this thing last until the 4g comes out. Any suggestions?
dwynnejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You can have it fixed/replaced for around $30-40.
I send a 3G thru the mail to this online company to have it repaired so I dont have to pay the $200 out of warranty fee that Apple charges.
They fixed and mailed it out same day.
I hate to sound like an informercial but they were top notch.
If you want their site let me know.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

you can do what applej said above. there are very good companies that will fix it and ship it back the same day.. or you could look around for a local shop as well. try craigslist and look for someone that has an a shop or store that does them..the price applej said is also correct
DEE9299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:55 PM   #4
dwynnejr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You can have it fixed/replaced for around $30-40.
I send a 3G thru the mail to this online company to have it repaired so I dont have to pay the $200 out of warranty fee that Apple charges.
They fixed and mailed it out same day.
I hate to sound like an informercial but they were top notch.
If you want their site let me know.
I guess that sounds the best. What are the places you recommend? It just scares me to ship my phone off with all the information on it. How long does it take round trip? Also, if i do it, any tips to protecting any private data on there?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

back up everything on our phone and if there is pictures that you dont want people to see just saved them on your computer and then delete them from your phone......I know some that are good what state are you in?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6
dwynnejr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE9299 View Post
back up everything on our phone and if there is pictures that you dont want people to see just saved them on your computer and then delete them from your phone......I know some that are good what state are you in?
I'm in Louisiana. I'm more thinking about people accessing my email. Any thoughts on how to protect that?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

delete your email account from the phone and erase all the emails on their now..and do not set it up again until you get your phone back...i am not sure the rules on here regarding posting other sitesd so i will pm you and you can compare y list with appleljuiceds list and research the ones you like....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:09 PM   #8
dwynnejr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
delete your email account from the phone and erase all the emails on their now..and do not set it up again until you get your phone back...i am not sure the rules on here regarding posting other sitesd so i will pm you and you can compare y list with appleljuiceds list and research the ones you like....
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Another thought, would it work to restore my phone to defaults, then send it in, then restore it to my backup? Would my backup last that long?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:12 PM   #9
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

you could if you wanted to nut i think deleting your email and anything else you would not want people to say would be fine....i know that you do not need to send your sim card with the phone either...i sent you the 2 places i know about hopefully it helps you
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:32 PM   #10
dwynnejr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
you could if you wanted to nut i think deleting your email and anything else you would not want people to say would be fine....i know that you do not need to send your sim card with the phone either...i sent you the 2 places i know about hopefully it helps you
Thanks for the help Dee. I guess my last question is, how long total did it take you to send off the phone and get it back?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:38 PM   #11
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynnejr View Post
Thanks for the help Dee. I guess my last question is, how long total did it take you to send off the phone and get it back?

Thanks
me personal i have never sent it off i fixed my issues myself its not to hard to do....but i mean like i said how ever long it takes you to ship it to them and then the return back you could opt for one day shipping back.......i would check locally to....before sending it off check craigslist in your area
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:15 PM   #12
CupertinoiPhone
macrumors member

Workaround

You can make changes in your settings of Auto-Off, to turn off your iPhone after 30 seconds. That way you do not need the Power Button to turn it OFF.

To turn it ON from Sleep, you have the Home Button, which will bring it on from Sleep. So you do not need to turn it On.

Only thing is your iPhone dies out totally then you can turn it ON by plugging it to the Wall Charger or USB Cable.

As you can see, you can live without the Power Button by above work around.

If you still want to get it fixed, I would recommend going for professional repair, instead of DIY as it is a tricky repair.

-Ganesh

Last edited by r6girl; Mar 20, 2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: signature rule violation
CupertinoiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:24 PM   #13
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

let us know how you make out.......
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:01 PM   #14
TurdFerguson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TurdFerguson
Back-up your phone, then set-up a passcode lock with auto erase on. After 10 incorrect tries your iphone erases all data. It has the added bonus that you can tell if they tried to get into your phone.
TurdFerguson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:33 PM   #15
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

they will need your passcode to test the features if you decide to go the route of shipping thats why i suggest finding a local shop that will repair
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:35 PM   #16
jmpg
macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3G started doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I was basically in your shoes trying to decide if I should get it fixed or not. One night while watching tv I started blindly and repeatedly hitting the button over and over out of annoyance. A couple of minutes went by and I looked down and noticed the screen was going on and off. Not sure if dust got down in there or what, but hitting it over and over somewhere between 500-1000 times fixed it for whatever reason. It may seem insane, but you may want to try just in case...
jmpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:01 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynnejr View Post
I guess that sounds the best. What are the places you recommend? It just scares me to ship my phone off with all the information on it. How long does it take round trip? Also, if i do it, any tips to protecting any private data on there?

Thanks
This is the place I send mine to
https://www.ifixyouri.com/
I'm not affiliated or used them prior just stating my experience.
I shipped it out Monday morn, it arrived there Wednesday. Same day it was fixed and send out. I had it back by Friday and all for $32.95
I just had to pay to ship it to them and the price includes return shipping.
I was kinda uneasy at first also but after I called them up I was at ease
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:07 PM   #18
TurdFerguson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TurdFerguson
Quote:
they will need your passcode to test the features if you decide to go the route of shipping thats why i suggest finding a local shop that will repair
Why would you need the passcode to make sure the button sleeps/ wakes, powers off and on?

Until the color of man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
TurdFerguson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:26 PM   #19
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Why would you need the passcode to make sure the button sleeps/ wakes, powers off and on?
i do not need it i do not do mail in repairs....

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting