Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
I went tonight and purchased the airport express, once I got home, I realized that it would not bridge my airport base station (b vs g), so I went back to compusa and bought an airport extreme base station. The extreme replaced my b station. What I was wondering is if I set up my old base station in another room as a bridge to help bring my internet to the front of my house, will having a b on my new g network effect the speed of the network or would I be better off trying to sell it. BTW I love airtunes, so awesome!

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I don't think you can use your Airport Base Station (802.11b) to bridge your 'Extreme' network. I think the bridging function is only supported by Extreme and Express.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
sandman42 said:
I don't think you can use your Airport Base Station (802.11b) to bridge your 'Extreme' network. I think the bridging function is only supported by Extreme and Express.

Bridging is supported but Wireless Bridging is only on the newer Base Stations (Express & Extreme)

If you want to bridge the two together you will need to wire them up with an ethernet cable

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Darwin said:
Bridging is supported but Wireless Bridging is only on the newer Base Stations (Express & Extreme)

If you want to bridge the two together you will need to wire them up with an ethernet cable

ok, guess I will try to sell the base station. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.