Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
troyhouse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
how to erase all data without restoring

i might sell my 3gs with 3.1.2, untethered jb using blackra1n... iphone with 3.1.2 and untethered jb might be move "valuable" then others... so the question is how can i erase all data without having to restore....i dont have many apps downloaded, only some free games, and none of the paid ones. i can delete all my mail accounts, but will it wipe all emails/contacts?

thanks in advance
troyhouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
blackwind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
You can go in GENERAL and RESET/ERASE your datas there... but most of the time my phone FROZEN like crazy..... I have own way.


First if you have another iphone backup in ur itune and restore backup from that phone. so it freshly...

Maybe someone like to share their way of doing it

Cheers
__________________
MacBook Pro i7, 4GB, WD 1Tb & HS Gloss
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPad 2 black 64gb Wifi
blackwind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
i might sell my 3gs with 3.1.2, untethered jb using blackra1n... iphone with 3.1.2 and untethered jb might be move "valuable" then others... so the question is how can i erase all data without having to restore....i dont have many apps downloaded, only some free games, and none of the paid ones. i can delete all my mail accounts, but will it wipe all emails/contacts?

thanks in advance
If you have saved your SHSH blobs, why not just restore it to 3.1.2, then use Redsn0w to re-JB. Won't really take very long and much safer to do than any of the data erase options which can really throw your phone into a loop. Choose set up as new.

That's what I have done for all the iPhones I have sold.
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
bytethese
macrumors 68030
 
bytethese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cranford, NJ
Personally, I would Erase All Content And Settings. This will wipe your phone clean, of everything. Then restore your phone with 3.1.2 (using Saurik's method's I'd suppose), and jailbreak and unlock after you have set up as a new device.

The above will ensure that no data could be recovered from your iPhone. If you perform steps otherwise, anything you have done previously on the device could potentially be recovered by the new purchaser.
__________________
So I prison break my phone, use Chlamydia to install un-John Hancock'd apps, then I somehow use a Surfboard to change the way my African Safari looks
bytethese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:59 AM   #5
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytethese View Post
Personally, I would Erase All Content And Settings. This will wipe your phone clean, of everything. Then restore your phone with 3.1.2 (using Saurik's method's I'd suppose), and jailbreak and unlock after you have set up as a new device.

The above will ensure that no data could be recovered from your iPhone. If you perform steps otherwise, anything you have done previously on the device could potentially be recovered by the new purchaser.
Works if you have your SHSH on file...otherwise not. Besides...do you think anyone's really interested in your SMS? As always, the best security is the world's indifference to your data.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
bytethese
macrumors 68030
 
bytethese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cranford, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
Works if you have your SHSH on file...otherwise not. Besides...do you think anyone's really interested in your SMS? As always, the best security is the world's indifference to your data.
Correct, hence my note on Saurik's methods. I wouldn't interested in anything. But a malicious person could want SMS's, passwords, banking info, GPS info, etc.
__________________
So I prison break my phone, use Chlamydia to install un-John Hancock'd apps, then I somehow use a Surfboard to change the way my African Safari looks
bytethese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:28 AM   #7
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytethese View Post
Correct, hence my note on Saurik's methods. I wouldn't interested in anything. But a malicious person could want SMS's, passwords, banking info, GPS info, etc.
Wouldn't be worth the effort if they got hold of my phone
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:44 PM   #8
troyhouse
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
only if i had shsh saved... i would have not even asked this question... so without shsh, and with no restore possibility, how can i safely delete all data? just delete manually all the stuff?
troyhouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
bytethese
macrumors 68030
 
bytethese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cranford, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
only if i had shsh saved... i would have not even asked this question... so without shsh, and with no restore possibility, how can i safely delete all data? just delete manually all the stuff?
You don't. If you manually delete, deleted files are still there and someone like myself could have a field day getting back any pictures of you, screenshots of your bank account, SMS messages, GPS coordinates, keyboard cache, etc. I'd assume most would not want to recover this, but some may try it just for "giggles" to see what they can find on a "new" phone.

There's is one other option I just thought of, download this:
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?page_id=407

Delete all your mail, accounts, SMS, everything you can think of, then run that app. Might actually do the trick.
__________________
So I prison break my phone, use Chlamydia to install un-John Hancock'd apps, then I somehow use a Surfboard to change the way my African Safari looks
bytethese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:17 PM   #10
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Just restore to a custom 3.1.2 firmware and set up as a new phone. It's not perfect, but it is the best you can do without locking your phone and making it unjailbreakable. And, really, it's good enough for most purposes. I'm assuming you don't store your top-secret nuclear weapons plans on your phone...
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:41 PM   #11
sparky20
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Question Maybe this will suffice.-iwipe-

Opps

Last edited by sparky20; Mar 11, 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: double post
sparky20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
sparky20
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Question Maybe this will suffice.-iwipe-

I am currently in the same position and have found no solution. (add repository called NERV at http://cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt/ ) - iWipe-this program should erase anything left behind after you manually erase( they say it is like a low level format of all free space). This may be the closest you will find and should be totally safe. And also preserve your jailbreak. I believe you need to erase your emails and also log out itunes or any such programs- that are native- and will stay on phone. Maybe even contacts before you iwipe. If you or anyone reading this can see a flaw to this idea please email me at randyschaffer20@gmail.com. I will soon try this and if I'm wrong I would like to know. P.S. If anyone thinks this will work email me.
sparky20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Mini Data Erase hayhay Mac mini 3 Apr 13, 2014 08:14 PM
iPhone: How to erase personal data on JB Iphone? jdaniel Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 17 Sep 23, 2013 03:45 PM
How to erase data on mbp? warplane95 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Sep 23, 2013 10:28 AM
Erase Personal Data on iPhone Asylum47 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jul 4, 2013 09:48 PM
How to Erase all data but keep your jailbreak packgrad2000 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Jan 3, 2013 05:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC