Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt@GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
York, Uk
Just got my wife a mini yesterday, it has taken up it's place in her handbag, just wondering how hard wearing the alu case is! Has anyone worn through the colour... shes not keen on covering it with an iskin, and I don't blame her... they look to good...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Matt@GT said:
Just got my wife a mini yesterday, it has taken up it's place in her handbag, just wondering how hard wearing the alu case is! Has anyone worn through the colour... shes not keen on covering it with an iskin, and I don't blame her... they look to good...
They're pretty tough, but the screen is easily scratched. You might want to look for a clear case. I've seen them for the regular sized iPod, I'm sure someone makes them for the mini. If nothing else, find a cell phone case or something she can put it in while on the go, and she can just take it out when she needs it.

You never know what might be rattling around in those purses. ;)

bwmcm

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Doncaster, UK
I seem to have some grazing on the side of mine. The blue has worn away over a 1mm patch and silver is underneath. I think I had some keys in the same pocket.

PS. Anodized metals are only coated with a thin oxide of colour. They don't have the colour embedded within them.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
I've been carrying my mini in my pocket every day since I got it in May and it's fine (apart from the dent where I dropped it once onto a tiled floor).

I'd say two things: if you keep it in a pocket, just make sure there's nothing else in that pocket (keys, coins, etc.) and secondly, when you handle it (to change songs, etc.) make sure you take a little care.

(The nothing-else-in-pocket thing is good advice because not only do you eliminate the risk of coins scratching the iPod but also the risk of dropping your mini while you fumble for change... It's the one-mousebutton theory: do one thing at a time) :)

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
That's very true rdas. I've been carrying my mini around in my pocket since the day I got it (the week it was released). I carry nothing else besides my wallet in that pocket, and the mini doesn't have a scratch on it. The only imperfection it has is where I must have slid it along its back on the table and wore down the Apple logo. You can tell if the light hits it just right, otherwise you'll never notice.

I'd heard the screen was prone to scratch, so I cut a PDA screen protector to size (using a template made by placing the mini on a flatbed scanner) and putting it on there. Fits perfect.

I don't think you'll have near the durability problems of the regular iPods. The minis seem pretty resiliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.