REALLY weird iPhoto problem. - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Ardoptres
macrumors regular

REALLY weird iPhoto problem.

I have soooooooooo many duplicate photos on my computer, but I don't know what happens if I delete some of them.
I did this to check what would happen.

I open iPhoto, choose a picture and open it (to check if i can open it)
I find all the dublicates of that photo in finder, and delete them.
I try to open the same picture in iPhoto, but now it just shows a blown up exclamation point.
I go the the trash can, put all the photos back
Try to open the picture in iPhoto (expecting it to open) but it STILL shows the exclamation point!

I find this to be very weird. The files i deleted are back and yet it still won't recognize it as being there. I have Aperture and I can open the picture there with no problems.

PS: If anyone knows, where are the pictures in iPhoto and Aperture stored? I have up to 5 copies of the same photo in my computer, but don't know which ones to delete without creating any problems.

Thanks in advance!
Ardoptres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:25 AM   #2
FallibleClover
macrumors newbie

If you right click on iPhoto Library in your Home folder and click on Show Package Contents you can access the original photograph files. I'm not sure if this is the same for Aperture as I don't use it. Your problem does sound kinda weird though. I wonder is it similar to the exclamation point issue sometimes found in iTunes where you have to manually look for the file in order for the Library to recognise it?
FallibleClover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

You should delete duplicates in iPhoto not in the Finder. Otherwise you're just breaking the links that iPhoto uses to find the files. It works like iTunes that way.

The way you're doing it can work, but you need to add the step of going through and deleting all the "exclamation point" files in iPhoto after cleaning up in the Finder.

Your pictures for iPhoto are in the iPhoto Library file. You can right-click->Show Package contents to view them.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Ardoptres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
You should delete duplicates in iPhoto not in the Finder. Otherwise you're just breaking the links that iPhoto uses to find the files. It works like iTunes that way.

The way you're doing it can work, but you need to add the step of going through and deleting all the "exclamation point" files in iPhoto after cleaning up in the Finder.

Your pictures for iPhoto are in the iPhoto Library file. You can right-click->Show Package contents to view them.
Well they aren't duplicates in iPhoto, but in different folders on the computer.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardoptres View Post
Well they aren't duplicates in iPhoto, but in different folders on the computer.
What version of iPhoto do you have?

As long as you don't delete any photo's in ~/Photos/iPhoto Library/ iPhoto will be just fine. If the photo is in iPhoto you can delete it from any other folder.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but iPhoto doesn't have a method to add items with remote links (by remote I mean not in the library folder).

When you add a photo to iPhoto it COPIES it to your library and you can delete the original... If you so chose.

To get the photo back... You'll have to delete the ! from iPhoto and then add the photo back in.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Ardoptres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder View Post
What version of iPhoto do you have?

As long as you don't delete any photo's in ~/Photos/iPhoto Library/ iPhoto will be just fine. If the photo is in iPhoto you can delete it from any other folder.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but iPhoto doesn't have a method to add items with remote links (by remote I mean not in the library folder).

When you add a photo to iPhoto it COPIES it to your library and you can delete the original... If you so chose.

To get the photo back... You'll have to delete the ! from iPhoto and then add the photo back in.
Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X