Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOVortex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hi,

With my iMac, I have Swan M10 external speakers that I love. I also like to use headphones sometimes.

My currrent solution for switching from speakers to headphones (or vice versa) involves physically turning the computer, disconnecting one input in the headphone jack, and putting in the other one.

I am looking for a splitter that will

a) is long enough to rest on my desk instead of dangle down from the back of the computer
b) quickly allow me to select which audio output device I want to use (without playing through both, which causes problems: either tingy sound playing through the headphones I'm not using, or having to turn off the speakers I'm not using)

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Dont you just option click the speaker icon and switch it to line out?

The problem is that iMac has only one audio input and he has to change the cable when switching between headphones and speakers. It's impossible to have two cables in one input without splitter :p

@OP: Do your speakers have USB too?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
get a USB audio device like the one offered by plantronics and then you can easily switch devices by having one plugged into the "USB-Audio" and one into the "Line out"

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
get a USB audio device like the one offered by plantronics and then you can easily switch devices by having one plugged into the "USB-Audio" and one into the "Line out"

Like this. Hmm, that's even better idea then OP wouldn't have to unplug and replug, just few clicks and that's it

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
yep, its what i do because i use mac speech dictate and i have my good headphones then i have phones with a mic

thus i can listen to music and use the mic or just use my everyday phones

its the same principle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.