Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

givin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Hi, first post in this forum...

I have a Canon PowerShot S90 which I am very saticfied with. I shoot RAW + JPEG exclusively. I use Lightroom 2.6 to PP and manage my photos.

Using Camera Calibration > Profile: Camera Standard the RAW files are very similar in overall color to the JPEG files. However, the JPEG files are sharper and seems to have more color contrast in the details which usually looks better.

Does anyone knows how to automatically process RAW files to exactly match the camera generated JPEG files?

By the way, I have read all posts in this excellent topic - JPEG vs RAW - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/851258/

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Do you have Canon's DPP software? If so, process your Raw files in there, using the same Picture Styles you have selected for your camera's JPEG output. Otherwise, just boost the sharpening, vibrancy, contrast or whatever in the Raw processor of your choice.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why are you shoots raw format if what you want are automatically processed jpg files? I would suggesting shooting JPG unless you intend to post procees the images yourself using a non-automated method.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
if you want it to look like the jpeg...then just shoot jpeg. if you don't want to spend the time to make use of RAW, then you gain nothing by using it.

DPP will emulate the Picture Styles best, since it can read the proprietary processing data.

givin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks everyone for the quick help.

Do you have Canon's DPP software?
Yes, have hardly used it though.

process your Raw files in there, using the same Picture Styles you have selected for your camera's JPEG output.
I guess I can batch this. Can I then save the settings as an xmp file and have the raw displayed like the jpeg in Lightroom?

Otherwise, just boost the sharpening, vibrancy, contrast or whatever in the Raw processor of your choice.
Tried this, but did not get the same result. I do not doubt it is possible though. But will the same setting give the jpg look for all pictures?

Why are you shoots raw format if what you want are automatically processed jpg files? I would suggesting shooting JPG unless you intend to post procees the images yourself using a non-automated method.
I want to keep the raw files for the better pictures in case I want to manually adjust them. And when I adjust them, starting the manipulation from a preset that gives the jpg look saves time and will help me remeber how it looked like.

if you want it to look like the jpeg...then just shoot jpeg. if you don't want to spend the time to make use of RAW, then you gain nothing by using it.
See above. Also, I want an automated standardized process to handle my pictures that gives me best options to manipulate the pictures I want or have time to manipulate. Hard to determine this while shooting.

Edit
In DPP, raw files are displayed very similar to jpg by default although they are slightly sharper/noisier. I suspect this is because lumincane noise reduction is set to 0. Did not find a way to export the settings to Lightroom though.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Whats the point? If your going to automatically process RAW files to exactly match the camera generated JPEG files, then just shoot JPEG.

EDIT:

Beaten to it but I still don't see your point. If you like the look of the JPEG then just use that and archive the RAW for later use. If you DONT like the look of the JPEG adjust the RAW to taste and convert.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
If you like the look of the JPEG then just use that and archive the RAW for later use. If you DONT like the look of the JPEG adjust the RAW to taste and convert.

I agree with this, IMO, sounds like you are making it harder than need be and actually creating work were there is no work to be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.