Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:46 AM   #1
carpets
macrumors member

Text Messages on iPad?

Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I could not find anything similar when searching.

Do members of the forum think that it would be possible to send and receive text messages on the 3G version of iPad?

This would be a very useful feature for my staff in my retail business.
carpets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:04 AM   #2
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Should be. There is a SMS app in the App Store. I assume it would work w/ the iPad. And there are also loads of web based SMS services.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Google Voice should work fine.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Julien
macrumors 68040

...but will AT&T allow you to use your existing cell phone number (if you have one) for iPad texting and apply to that account? Probably not (logistics could be a problem) but it would be a good idea if it could be implemented.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:31 AM   #5
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
...but will AT&T allow you to use your existing cell phone number (if you have one) for iPad texting and apply to that account? Probably not (logistics could be a problem) but it would be a good idea if it could be implemented.
I don't know if they even give you a phone number with an iPad plan
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
I don't know if they even give you a phone number with an iPad plan
No they don't but that's not what I said. In more detail what I meant was if the text messages could be directed to your iPad and charges could be charged/credited on your "other" cell phone account. As I said there are probably several technical/practical/logistical problems preventing this but it would be a great idea.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Maybe someone with more specific cell tech knowledge can chime in: what is the unique identifier on a SIM? i.e. the thing that gives it the ability to send and receive a text message? Is it the phone number? IMEI?

I guess what I'm wondering is, if you ported the iPhone's "Messages" app to the 3G iPad, and sent a text...

a) Would it work?
b) Where would it be 'From'?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:55 PM   #8
NIPRING
macrumors 6502

Would the 3g ipad have a sim tray? maybe?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:15 PM   #9
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Might there be a way to pop the sms app on there from the iPhone? If it is possible to mod a normal sim to be a micro sim, then I'll be a happy camper. I'll probably use the sms function quite heavily on the iPad if that's the case, as my current data sim includes sms as part of the tariff
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:31 PM   #10
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No they don't but that's not what I said. In more detail what I meant was if the text messages could be directed to your iPad and charges could be charged/credited on your "other" cell phone account. As I said there are probably several technical/practical/logistical problems preventing this but it would be a great idea.
actually at&t does give a phone number to a data cards.
frunkis54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:35 PM   #11
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIPRING View Post
Would the 3g ipad have a sim tray? maybe?
It does - a microSIM tray. This is a known factoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_maddison View Post
Might there be a way to pop the sms app on there from the iPhone? If it is possible to mod a normal sim to be a micro sim, then I'll be a happy camper. I'll probably use the sms function quite heavily on the iPad if that's the case, as my current data sim includes sms as part of the tariff
Yes - you can physically cut a SIM into a microSIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
Interesting and good to know, thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:51 AM   #12
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
This still doesn't help because I want to text from my iPhone's number/existing threads and not have to send from an "unknown" number. Also AT&T hasn't announced any iPad phone number text data plan costs.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:46 AM   #13
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This still doesn't help because I want to text from my iPhone's number/existing threads and not have to send from an "unknown" number. Also AT&T hasn't announced any iPad phone number text data plan costs.
it was only said to state a fact that i know. i would have to say no you will only be able to text from the iphone/ipad apps.
frunkis54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:56 AM   #14
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Well I can tell you that on an o2 data plan designed for a dongle they block incoming and outgoing calls but they do allow txts!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Well I can tell you that on an o2 data plan designed for a dongle they block incoming and outgoing calls but they do allow txts!
I can vouch for that, as that is what I have with o2
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:51 AM   #16
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Cool and interesting. So then the question becomes:

-does Apple natively install, or allow us to d/l from the appstore, the Messages app?

-if not, have to do so via jailbreak I assume

And I wonder what happens if you placed a phone call to that number? O2 guys can you comment?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:54 AM   #17
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

i just get a call failed message on my cell when I call the o2 data number
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:09 PM   #18
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
I actually wanted to reaplace my iPhone with an iPad.

The thing is, there is no way to receive text messages on the iPad on a number that will also receive calls and vice versa (unless Google Voice does that).

And all data cards are given a "phone number". My Sprint mobile broadband card has a number.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:39 PM   #19
EssentialParado
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
That's interesting, but I'm sure you can use VOIP still though.
EssentialParado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:18 PM   #20
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Well, it'll be interesting to see what does/does not come between now and shipping...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Eso
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thanks guys. Well, it'll be interesting to see what does/does not come between now and shipping...
Don't we already know?

The answer about text messages is no - you will not be able to send/receive text messages on the iPad.

Can you receive text message on an iPod Touch over WiFi? No. The type of 3G service the iPad receives is like mobile WiFi.

It's really not that hard people.
Eso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Cool and interesting. So then the question becomes:

-does Apple natively install, or allow us to d/l from the appstore, the Messages app?

-if not, have to do so via jailbreak I assume

And I wonder what happens if you placed a phone call to that number? O2 guys can you comment?
you can call the number it is dead. You can txt it and the txt is received on your computer through the 3g management tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParado View Post
That's interesting, but I'm sure you can use VOIP still though.
yes you can use voip on o2 without an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Don't we already know?

The answer about text messages is no - you will not be able to send/receive text messages on the iPad.

Can you receive text message on an iPod Touch over WiFi? No. The type of 3G service the iPad receives is like mobile WiFi.

I think what were going to find is that it'll be network dependant. As with o2 the system is already in place on the existing data plan setup for dongles to allow txts but not calls. The question will be will AT&T allow it? Hopefully for you guys over the pond they do as it's a feature that would allow alot of people to dump there iPhone package.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:56 PM   #23
Gav2k
macrumors 601

I forgot to add if you take the simcard out of the dongle and place it in a mobile the same applies. Calls are blocked txts and data is allowed.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:41 PM   #24
carpets
macrumors member

Some interesting debate. But it still looks like we don't know

It appears that if Apple put the software on the iPad it will work with 02 in the UK at least.

I guess we will have to wait and see about the US etc.
carpets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:25 PM   #25
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Don't we already know?

???

Yours is not an unreasonable conclusion to draw based on what we do know, particularly as it relates to the experience of 3G dongle/card users on O2 and the like. However, it is far from certain that this is where we'll end up. Apple could easily - should they and ATT decide together - make available the very same Messages app that's on the iPhone (at least for 3G models).

I've done some poking around and there is no *technical* reason why a SIM (or microSIM) cannot send and receive texts simply because it's in a card, or a dongle, or an iPad, and not in a phone. It's a business decision. Nothing more.

I have no idea how this turns out, and fwiw I'm perfectly fine confining my texts to my iPhone. But to say that we know (and be insulting in the process by condescendingly telling us that it's 'really not that hard people') is plain wrong.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad