Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:08 AM   #1
RudyC310
macrumors newbie

I built my own IMac at the same time as Apple, but they beat me to it!

Funny I have been waiting for the new imac for a month now anticipating this mornings news. Wow, that looks like the one I am building for myself. I can't tell you how funny it feels. Anyways, I gutted an old G3 ibook 466 and wanted to make something more useful for myself. I loved the new monitor design and wanted that for myself without spending the money to get one, so I designed my own IMac style computer and designed it after the monitor. I blew some LED's on the motherboard and have to replace them to get my system running again, so I put it on hold for a few weeks. I am glad apple made the imac the way it is now, I was really liking my desig and glad everyone can have it. Anyways, I just had to post because when I saw it this morning I just couldn't get over the similarities. Have a mac day!

RudyC310 is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:10 AM   #2
boxerchip
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to boxerchip
thats insane! good work btw... working with metal is not easy but you did a good job.
boxerchip is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:18 AM   #3
sorryiwasdreami
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sorryiwasdreami
Wow, I can appreciate that. Good work. It's simple, sturdy, clean, and unique and all your own. It has a real "hand-crafted" look which I think is awesome.

Are you going to finish the sides where the ports are located with a piece of metal to make it closed off?
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:24 AM   #4
RudyC310
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasdreami
Wow, I can appreciate that. Good work. It's simple, sturdy, clean, and unique and all your own. It has a real "hand-crafted" look which I think is awesome.

Are you going to finish the sides where the ports are located with a piece of metal to make it closed off?
Sorry the pics are so early, I was not intending to show it so early but since apple showed theirs I wanted to show mine so people can't say I just copied the new imac. the final finish will be bead blasted and matte cleared so it will look like the new apple displays. I will also make the sides out of clear acrylic with white backing to represent the new monitors as well. I will post again when I am done, Here is my inspiration
RudyC310 is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:28 AM   #5
MacFan25863
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacFan25863
I actually like yours better. I would have rather had the extra space on the side, as yours has, instead of that huge space on the bottom, like the new iMac.
MacFan25863 is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:34 AM   #6
sorryiwasdreami
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sorryiwasdreami
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyC310
Sorry the pics are so early, I was not intending to show it so early but since apple showed theirs I wanted to show mine so people can't say I just copied the new imac. the final finish will be bead blasted and matte cleared so it will look like the new apple displays. I will also make the sides out of clear acrylic with white backing to represent the new monitors as well. I will post again when I am done, Here is my inspiration
Good plans; it sounds like you have a background and metalworking talent that should certainly be put to uses such as these. Be sure to post more pics when you are finished!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:35 AM   #7
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's amazing! Way to go!

RudyC310, you should get together with this guy and start making some fine lookin' computers for us.

I personally prefer your "iMac" to the new one. I like that you've extended the bezel on the sides rather than on the bottom.

Good luck with that ... I'm sure all of us can't wait to see the finished product!
dotnina is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:01 AM   #8
aus_dave
macrumors regular

Awesome job. I'll be keen to see the finished product .
aus_dave is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 03:03 AM   #9
macnemo
macrumors newbie

Woot!!! Gd job bro. Hope to see the finished product soon.
All the best.
macnemo is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 03:32 AM   #10
stevehaslip
macrumors 6502a

thats seriously impressive, you managed to get it out unharmed! and put it back together? it all works ok? How did you shape or cut out the metal? it looks really smooth and precise?
Old Sep 1, 2004, 04:24 AM   #11
Golem
macrumors 6502

Nice, Good Job.

But as for why apply have gone vertical instead of Horizontal.

That is a 12/13 inch screen where as apple have 17 and 20 inch.their bases are narrower in proportion and i suspect a 20'' screen with another 2'' of heavy electronics on the sides would be quite susceptible to tipping over. As well they need to get screen itself upto a decent height so if they would have had the center of gravity quite a bit higher particularly as I beleive the bottom part has the power supply etc.
Golem is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 04:55 AM   #12
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

Thumbs up Nice work...

Really nice, post more pics when you're ready and enjoy your creation...
Old Sep 1, 2004, 05:41 AM   #13
mac4drew
macrumors regular

nice work!

What kind of iBook did you get those parts from? Curvy Tangerine/Blueberry, or modern style?

Can't wait to see the final product!

mac4drew is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 08:03 AM   #14
Dalriada
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyC310
Wow, I'd buy one of those immediately, call it a ProMac or how ever you like ! Maybe a 20th anniversary model....

Note I posted this image before the Imac came out which was circulating on a French site
Attached Images

Last edited by Dalriada; Sep 1, 2004 at 08:08 AM.
Dalriada is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 08:54 AM   #15
asphalt-proof
macrumors 6502a

Extremely Impressed...

RudyC310
I am very impressed with your craftsmanship. I realize that its not quite finished but it is still an impressive piece. I wonder if its possible to do that design with a G4 1.25. I think that I would buy one off of you for that. I think that the new iMac has pushed the limits of an interesting concept but I really think that the massive amount of white space at the bottom is a bit off-putting. Your design is much more 'clean'. Well thought-out and kudos to you for your initiative. (maybe Apple will hire you to be a protege to John Ivie
Pete
asphalt-proof is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 09:15 AM   #16
jtgotsjets
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jtgotsjets
i like the "white space" at the bottom of the imac

it reminds you that there is a computer there
Old Sep 1, 2004, 09:26 AM   #17
Bruce Lee, PhD
macrumors member

I think this will look nicer than the real iMac when you're done. It's a cleaner look.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:02 AM   #18
RudyC310
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4drew
nice work!

What kind of iBook did you get those parts from? Curvy Tangerine/Blueberry, or modern style?

Can't wait to see the final product!
The parts are from a graphite Special Edition. I did get all the parts out ok, and it does still work. I do understand why Apple does have all the space on the lower part of the screen and it serves a purpose for them. My screen is only 12" so I just do not have enough screen to fill the edge. The new monitors are widescreen and that 20" is huge. adding more space around it would definately make it long. The extra space has to be for power supply and maybe enen processor location. I left the power supply out of mine because I would have had to make the casing much larger and I didn;t wat that. My case is 1.375 " thick and the new 17"imac is 1.9" and the 20" is 2.2" thick. That is definately too much for my liking. The cooling and space is something they needed I am sure. The components are custom for that computer but are more like tower parts. They are bigger and make more heat. Mine were made for a laptop so they produce less heat and the processor does not dispense as much heat. I turned my motherboard around to face the rear so I could mount a heatsink to the processor and make it touch the rear panel to dispense the heat away from the screen. If there was space below then that would not be a problem. Apple still makes great products and I like seeing that they push the envelope in computer design
RudyC310 is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:02 AM   #19
Spock
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Spock Send a message via Yahoo to Spock
Wow that looks really Good. When You are done I would send Your pics to www.applefritter.com they would love this.
Spock is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:49 AM   #20
howard
macrumors 68020

thats pretty amazing

i can't even begin to imagine how you could do something like that.

so would that thing be easy to upgrade?
howard is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:56 AM   #21
Brother Michael
macrumors 6502a

When I buy I new laptop...I am stealing that idea. Hope you don't mind

Seriously, that is awsome. Good job.

Mike

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers