Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:32 AM   #1
acidrock
macrumors 6502

NPR MORNING EDITION: don't listen every day!

I've been waking up early and at first I really liked morning editiion, it was to early for me before when the Bob Edwards left. At first I really liked it, but now it seems like they are talking about the same things every day. And always asking can you give us an update. I almost stated to not want to listen to NPR but then I heard All things considered today and they really do a much better news format. I had always listend to ATL but now have had a different schdule. I think I'll only be listening to Morning Edition Sundays, and that's just because I like voices in the news. Morning Edition, any thoughts, cretic any npr (national public radio) shows or thoughts about npr programing. The station that's becomming more and more main streem, but still better than main streem news on TV.

nathan
Through every hard experience, something good can happen. -Margaret Cho May 2004
I use humor to help me deal with all the stress in the world - (me)
acidrock is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 08:36 AM   #2
MattG
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock
I've been waking up early and at first I really liked morning editiion, it was to early for me before when the Bob Edwards left. At first I really liked it, but now it seems like they are talking about the same things every day. And always asking can you give us an update. I almost stated to not want to listen to NPR but then I heard All things considered today and they really do a much better news format. I had always listend to ATL but now have had a different schdule. I think I'll only be listening to Morning Edition Sundays, and that's just because I like voices in the news. Morning Edition, any thoughts, cretic any npr (national public radio) shows or thoughts about npr programing. The station that's becomming more and more main streem, but still better than main streem news on TV.

nathan
Well it's probably going to seem very repetitive for the next two months until the election--that's all you hear about anywhere.

As for other shows on NPR, I like "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" (the news-quiz show), and also "This American Life".
MattG is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 08:50 AM   #3
sketchy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Well it's probably going to seem very repetitive for the next two months until the election--that's all you hear about anywhere.

As for other shows on NPR, I like "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" (the news-quiz show), and also "This American Life".
Says you is a great show. "saysyou""

It is only available in select markets, but I get mine through audible. It is a quiz show.

Dave
sketchy is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 08:56 AM   #4
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I love wait wait don't tell me!! Also Car Talk has to be the best public radio show ever, I swear those guys know everything!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 09:43 AM   #5
acidrock
macrumors 6502

hey wait wait don't tell me is my favorite other NPR show, I am so much happier when listening to it, am loving Peter. Many of you seem to have online access and maybe able to access the programs like AL and WWDTM, for example WWDTM's website is:

wait wait

if you miss a show you can hear it through realplayer, though i have found wait wait not to be as funny online, don't know why.

Nah I don't think morning edition will change after the election, they cover other stories now, they do it all just to much

-nathan
Through every hard experience, something good can happen. -Margaret Cho May 2004
acidrock is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 09:49 AM   #6
krimson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to krimson
I leave so early in the morning that I hear the 2 rebroadcast as well as the first one. Maybe that's what you're referring to? I stopped listening to the last broadcasts.. just the 6am one. then i switch to a rock station for the morning funnies.

Morning Becomes Eclectic, ATC, The World, Studio 360, TAL, Says You, Le Show.. there are many many programs throughout the day.

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Mac Folding team!

Last edited by krimson; Sep 1, 2004 at 09:58 AM.
krimson is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

If you're looking for straight news, I don't think you have much choice other than NPR.

You can get right-wing talk radio anywhere, of course, but if you want any other views, your choices are pretty much limited to Air America, Radio Left, and Outrage Radio. Unfortunately, most of us can get these only on the internet.
Thomas Veil is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:59 AM   #8
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil
If you're looking for straight news, I don't think you have much choice other than NPR..
As I grow older and more set in my cynical ways I doubt that it is possible to present unbiased information using the english language.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:16 PM   #9
acidrock
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson
I leave so early in the morning that I hear the 2 rebroadcast as well as the first one. Maybe that's what you're referring to? I stopped listening to the last broadcasts.. just the 6am one. then i switch to a rock station for the morning funnies.

Morning Becomes Eclectic, ATC, The World, Studio 360, TAL, Says You, Le Show.. there are many many programs throughout the day.
ah let me clarify, it is hearing about the same topics every day I find annoying, like about the plane crashes in russia, it's like, everyday they say, can you give us an update. I understand that's how news works, but it gets old. I wish they would find other stories.

I could tell you were from LA and saw your location, I have relatives down there, and also listen to KCRW through iTunes, in the public folder once and a while. They are an OK station, but they I think host a west coast show that is really cool called Day to Day, it is very hip!

reply to another post, would the unbiased news like Democracy Now, be considered gay news, SORRY just a joke ! best !

nathan
acidrock is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:24 PM   #10
krimson
macrumors 65816

Yup, i listen to KCRW, in fact im listening to MBE now

I dont think they actually host Day to Day, since NPR-West has it's own studios, but they are heavily involved in it somehow.. can't remember exactly how though.

---
anyhoo.. since i started listening ot ME, i kinda stopped watching the news so much.. used to watch when I got home, and then at night before I goto sleep. maybe one or two inbetween. Ill listen to just the 6-7am broadcast, then that's pretty much it for news.
Ill still tune in to the local news at night, but usually, ill have had my fill by then. Even local news is all filler stories, and that gets old fast. It's the same way when the station has 3 or 4 30 minute news casts in a row.

krimson is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 03:03 PM   #11
logicat2001
macrumors regular

Democracy Now

Also available on the radio. Check for your local Pacifica radio affiliate.
logicat2001 is offline   0
Old Sep 1, 2004, 03:15 PM   #12
acidrock
macrumors 6502

What are your favorite stations? I'm in Seattle and often like to listen to kuow.org, we can now get them in the basement of the UW Medical Center Hopsital. Anyway they are more of a talk format, and air some music programing on other stations. I listen to also KCRW, and a jazz station WEMU, also used to hear WAMU in DC, where I'm from. KUOW puts all it's archives on the net.

-nathan
acidrock is offline   0
Old Sep 2, 2004, 09:56 AM   #13
krimson
macrumors 65816

i only get 2, kpcc, and kcrw.. i haven't really had the urge to go listen to other ones, especially since i dont want to stream...

krimson is offline   0
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:08 PM   #14
fuzzwud
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to fuzzwud
Bob Edwards is now the host of a radio show on XM or Sirius radio now ... although I don't know which one
fuzzwud is offline   0
Old Sep 2, 2004, 05:08 PM   #15
acidrock
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzwud
Bob Edwards is now the host of a radio show on XM or Sirius radio now ... although I don't know which one
wow so his so called book tour didn't last long? -n
acidrock is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community