Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Any guesses if we'll see something like this in 2010 or do you think we'll have to wait till 2011. What's your guess?

I can dream, can't I? :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If Apple does the things right, they won't wait until 2011.
The Mac Pro "should" see USB 3.0 (X68) this year. Then again we all know the Mac Pro is a bag of hurt.

Otherwise Apple will just keep milking scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to standard RAM capacity.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I think USB 3 might actually be something Apple jumps on.

Since user's aren't supposed to open the Mini and iMac, they need to support external storage. FW800 is good, but something much faster would be much better. I guess if the licensing fees are too high, maybe they'll drag their feet or go with light peak. But USB 3 seems like the odds on favorite to be the next peripheral bus.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just wait for SATAIII. I'd rather see eSATA ports on the Mini if anything. Don't know why we need 5 USB ports? :p

Give us 3 USB3.0 ports, 2 eSATA ports, 1 LP port & 1 FW3200 port please :D

Oh and 4 memory slots and a quadcore CPU.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Why wear it when you can have it implanted? Then you can have tiny eye contacts with screens in them so you can see your computer and everything is controlled with your mind.

Why implant it when you have have it assimulated into your body? You could have it everwhere so instead of travelling across the world, across the world travels to you!!!

Aug 26, 2008
Light Peak is still too terribly popular.

It's kinda weird isn't it? Intel demos it on what is essentially a hackintosh, and all of a sudden it's an Apple created exclusive that is not only right around the corner but makes USB3 (which is out NOW and works) apparently undesirable garbage.

The way the phrase "light peak" is bandied about around here, and on only this forum as far as I have seen, you would think it's a dominate force in the industry at this point. It's really bizarre.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's kinda weird isn't it? Intel demos it on what is essentially a hackintosh, and all of a sudden it's an Apple created exclusive that is not only right around the corner but makes USB3 (which is out NOW and works) apparently undesirable garbage.

The way the phrase "light peak" is bandied about around here, and on only this forum as far as I have seen, you would think it's a dominate force in the industry at this point. It's really bizarre.
I've touched on all this an more here.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Just wait for SATAIII. I'd rather see eSATA ports on the Mini if anything. Don't know why we need 5 USB ports? :p

Give us 3 USB3.0 ports, 2 eSATA ports, 1 LP port & 1 FW3200 port please :D

Oh and 4 memory slots and a quadcore CPU.

I really don't know why apple can't at least use a low voltage core 2 quad.....they do make those so why not.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.