Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
TWHH
macrumors member

Basic question - creating chapters

I've got a 3 hour long mp3 file. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to put chapters into it so that I can skip through it on my iPhone?

Many thanks
TWHH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2
LurchNC
macrumors regular

Hi,
This might not be the easiest way, but it will work.

1. Pull your mp3 into itunes.
2. "Get Info" on the file and under "options" there is a place to set the start and stop time.
3. Set the start and stop time for your 1st chapter.
4. Use "Create AAC Version" (You have to set your import setting in Preferences). This will create a .m4a file for the first chapter. Change the name of the file you just created to "Chapter 1" or whatever you wish.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each chapter.
6. Once you have a file in iTunes for each chapter, use "Join Together" to combine the chapters into an audiobook format. (FYI .m4b is iTunes audiobook format, but it's really just an .m4a file. the"b" just tells itunes to put in under audiobooks.)

Join Together can be found here:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/jointogether.php
LurchNC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio