Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx181x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
hey guy i spilled a little water over arrows and first row of the keypad buttons I immediately tipped it over to get the water out and buttons: 0,1,2,3,enter, all arrow buttons and space bar dont work i disassembled the entire keyboard got to the plastic circuit board where the buttons make contact It appeared fine and i just dried and cleaned it, but the buttons still dont work after i put it all together How could i tell if parts of those parts of the board dont work? sorry for the bad grammar using my iphone air mouse to type, no horizontal keyboard!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much you can do other than let it thoroughly dry and then make sure the buttons are making contact, which it sounds like you've done. If that doesn't work, than you'll need to get a new keyboard.

This could also be a good excuse to upgrade to one of the new aluminum keyboards. They are so much easier to type on compared to the older-style white ones.

Bryan

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm, I spilled a thick green smoothie over my white iMac keyboard, then I rinsed it out and soaked it in the sink, left it in the sun for a few hours and it was as good as ever... Try leaving it out in the sun all day (not assembled), then put it back together and try it. If it doesn't work then is there any other USB keyboard you could use?

Good luck!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
this could be a good reason to switch to the new alu keyboard :p

It could also be a good reason to start using a silicone keyboard cover. I have one on my 13" MBP and my new i7 iMac's keyboard. I would expect the majority of this forum to be using silicone keyboard protectors by now after so many threads of liquid spills and keyboard wear. ;)

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
It could also be a good reason to start using a silicone keyboard cover. I have one on my 13" MBP and my new i7 iMac's keyboard. I would expect the majority of this forum to be using silicone keyboard protectors by now after so many threads of liquid spills and keyboard wear. ;)

I have one and love it.

My cat has a penchant for knocking over any cup left on the desk. She has killed two keyboards and I have learned my lesson. The cat is very crafty, but she hasn't yet figured out how to remove the silicon cover.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009

I got one for mine and it was the best $4 I ever spent. Got it off eBay shipped with free shipping from China to the US..... ;)

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Well, if you opened it up, and it still isn't working, I think the only thing left to do now is get a new one.
I actually think you'd enjoy the new model a lot more. I would have to say that it's probably the most comfortable keyboard I have ever used.
Or if you want the white one that you have now, just go on ebay or google shopping, I'm sure you'll be able to buy one for no more than $20

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
I have one and love it.

My cat has a penchant for knocking over any cup left on the desk. She has killed two keyboards and I have learned my lesson. The cat is very crafty, but she hasn't yet figured out how to remove the silicon cover.

I'd get rid of the cat long before I'd put a johnny hat on my keyboard. My cat peed on my new deskchair a few years ago and became an outside cat. Now it craps on the roof because it's scared of my dog. Cats are evil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.