Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:21 PM   #1
ifjake
macrumors 6502a

print sharing to windows

i wrote a while back about sharing to a printer connected to a windows machine. nothing was working. so i took the advice of someone and hooked the printer up to my computer and am now trying to get the windows machine to share with the printer connected to a mac laptop. printer is connected to the laptop working and all, renamed something recognisable. the share my printer with other computers check box is checked in the print section of system preferences. in the sharing preference, windows sharing and printer sharing are both checked. so it seems that everything is in place as far as i can tell. when browsing for the printer from the windows end, the laptop will show up on the workgroup subnetwork or whatever, but no printer appears. what am i missing on either windows or mac end? in what other ways can i share this darn printer? (http printing option?)
ifjake is offline   0
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2
SBG88
macrumors regular

Hey, if you find an answer post it. I've been searching for days.
SBG88 is offline   0
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3
jobutex
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to jobutex
This is an excellent resource for sharing a printer attached to a Mac with Windows machines.

http://homepage.mac.com/william_whit...o_windows.html

I'm using it with OS X 10.3.5 with two printers attached, sharing with two other Windows boxes and it works flawlessly. Just follow the directions in the document to set up CUPS, install the Gimp print drivers, etc.

Hope this helps...
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:20 AM   #4
SBG88
macrumors regular

Great, Thanks.
SBG88 is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:46 PM   #5
ifjake
macrumors 6502a

i haven't really had any sucess with setting up printers no matter how i try, and the reason is, when setting up printers in the Printer Setup deal in OS X the particular printer i'm trying to share has no driver listed. it's one of those printer scanner copier deals, so i can see how it could need it's own setup process. but at that step, selecting drivers, i'm always stuck there no matter what method of sharing i use. i can share and find the printer fine, but the drivers just aren't happening.

it's an HP PSC 1210 by the way. all in one.
ifjake is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 06:37 PM   #6
SBG88
macrumors regular

I can share with my laser. I also have an aio, the d125xi. Sharing with the aio... fuggetaboutit. If it is possible I'm not that advanced.
SBG88 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 09:33 PM   #7
MacG
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifjake
i haven't really had any sucess with setting up printers no matter how i try, and the reason is, when setting up printers in the Printer Setup deal in OS X the particular printer i'm trying to share has no driver listed. it's one of those printer scanner copier deals, so i can see how it could need it's own setup process. but at that step, selecting drivers, i'm always stuck there no matter what method of sharing i use. i can share and find the printer fine, but the drivers just aren't happening.

it's an HP PSC 1210 by the way. all in one.
I have this very problem ifjake. Did you ever get this to work???
MacG is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers