Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Apple2
macrumors member

Powermac G5 Boot Problems

Hello All:

When I tried to boot my dual 1.8 ghz Powermac G5, it does something very strange:
After pressing the power button, it displays the blue network globe on the screen in a small grey box. This flashes for about thirty seconds, then switches to a folder with a question mark, which flashes question mark, Finder logo. Then, it goes into the grey apple startup screen, where it stays until I turn the computer off. The G5 is running 10.5 and has 2gb of RAM installed. When I select Macintosh HD from the startup disk selection screen - I got to it by holding down option on boot - the G5 goes directly to the grey apple startup screen - no network symbol or folder. I have not used this computer for 2 months.

Thanks in advance.
Apple2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:51 PM   #2
leekohler
Banned

I could be wrong, but it sounds like your hard drive is about to bite the dust.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Does it boot with your Mac HDD? If so, go to system preferences and then to Startup Disc. Select your HDD as the boot disk. That globe you see is a network boot option which you obviously don't want.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Apple2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Does it boot with your Mac HDD? If so, go to system preferences and then to Startup Disc. Select your HDD as the boot disk. That globe you see is a network boot option which you obviously don't want.
No, the G5 does not boot at all. When I select my internal drive as the startup disc using {option} on boot (My internal drive is the only HDD that is connected to the computer), It progresses to the grey apple startup screen, skipping over the network logo and folder and remains there until I turn the G5 off. The computer still won't boot into Mac OS - X.
Apple2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs