Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Nipz
macrumors 65816

Rugged case for iPad?

Hi all,

Im planning on using an iPad as a remote screen to do navigation on my racing yacht (in a waterproof case of course) but im worried about it getting damaged and wondered if anyone had heard of or is developing a rugged case for the iPad?

If there isnt one planned i may have to go to industry standard Tough book with its crappy battery life!

Hope someone can help!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
joseluis.17
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipz View Post
Hi all,

Im planning on using an iPad as a remote screen to do navigation on my racing yacht (in a waterproof case of course) but im worried about it getting damaged and wondered if anyone had heard of or is developing a rugged case for the iPad?

If there isnt one planned i may have to go to industry standard Tough book with its crappy battery life!

Hope someone can help!
you mean panasonic tough book? I used to have the little one and the baterry lasted like 5 hours or more

don't worry as soon as the ipad is out you'll start to see a whole new market out there with some mounts and water-proof cases
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
bossxii
macrumors 68000

I would check out companies like Otterbox. They have a wide variety of iPhone cases and seem to be planning some for the iPad. They tend to make cases from basic to fully water proof.

I've not personally owned one, so can't say for sure of their quality or claims, but based on some reviews they seem to make some decent cases.
bossxii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Nipz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseluis.17 View Post
you mean panasonic tough book? I used to have the little one and the baterry lasted like 5 hours or more

don't worry as soon as the ipad is out you'll start to see a whole new market out there with some mounts and water-proof cases
What was your view on the toughbook? What model did you have? The iPad should be 1000x better than the toughbook with battery life and screen quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxii View Post
I would check out companies like Otterbox. They have a wide variety of iPhone cases and seem to be planning some for the iPad. They tend to make cases from basic to fully water proof.

I've not personally owned one, so can't say for sure of their quality or claims, but based on some reviews they seem to make some decent cases.
I sent them an email and they said they have had lots and lots of requests but nothing planned yet!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
The iPad should be 1000x better than the toughbook with battery life and screen quality.
But not if you want a full OS.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Nipz
macrumors 65816

It would be used as a remote screen for my old MacBook running windows. The toughbook is only a remote screen unless you have that crappy power brick which is slower than an iPhone!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Yes - in all likelihood. You'll just have to wait. There are tough cases for the iPhone -no reason they wouldn't come out with some for the iPad. Your best bet is to find manufacturers that do toughcases for iPhones, then email them to see/watch them to see what they produce after March.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:24 AM   #8
macduke
macrumors 68030

I'm thinking about picking up this guy, mainly because it's waterproof, only $20 and nice to have around if I need it. Haha I could also see myself playing Plants vs. Zombies in the bathtub.

http://trendydigital.com/index.php?m...products_id=58

It's not beautiful but it's functional and priced well.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Nipz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
I'm thinking about picking up this guy, mainly because it's waterproof, only $20 and nice to have around if I need it. Haha I could also see myself playing Plants vs. Zombies in the bathtub.

http://trendydigital.com/index.php?m...products_id=58

It's not beautiful but it's functional and priced well.
That's the bad boy I'm going to get until a rugged one comes out! I hope one comes out soon else I'll have a broken iPad on my hands!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:32 AM   #10
benstanton
macrumors newbie

Mmmmmmm - KEVLAR iPAD CASE
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Katilea
macrumors member

Otterbox are advertising two types of cases, you can sign up to be notified when they are available.

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-case-coming-soon

They are good cases, I had one on a Blackberry Storm, dropped it a few times but still works.
Katilea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:16 AM   #12
Nipz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katilea View Post
Otterbox are advertising two types of cases, you can sign up to be notified when they are available.

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-case-coming-soon

They are good cases, I had one on a Blackberry Storm, dropped it a few times but still works.
Just signed up! When i emailed them they said they weren't sure.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:30 AM   #13
Spudracer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi all,

Hope someone can help!
That sounds cool but how exactly are you planning to get nav info onto the iPad? Sailing close to shore / cell towers? Does the boat have a microwave up/downlink to satellites and a wifi network? Also, do you think the iPad screen will be usable in full sunlight at sea? Wouldn't a traditional marine nav / radar unit be more useful if more expensive?
Spudracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Nipz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudracer View Post
That sounds cool but how exactly are you planning to get nav info onto the iPad? Sailing close to shore / cell towers? Does the boat have a microwave up/downlink to satellites and a wifi network? Also, do you think the iPad screen will be usable in full sunlight at sea? Wouldn't a traditional marine nav / radar unit be more useful if more expensive?
I will use it at as a remote screen for my macbook (running windows ) using VNC or whatever is the best at the time.

I made another topic about a anti glare film but no replies, but could really do with something.

I am going to get a waterproof sleeve for it until someone does an all in one rugged all in one case. Still worried that it will get smashed until then but hey!

I was going to get a tough book but the battery life sucks on them and the good CF 08 is 1300ish. My thinking is that i can smash 2 or 3 iPads for the price of one CF 08.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:56 AM   #15
Carl Spunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I will use it at as a remote screen for my macbook (running windows ) using VNC or whatever is the best at the time.

I made another topic about a anti glare film but no replies, but could really do with something.

I am going to get a waterproof sleeve for it until someone does an all in one rugged all in one case. Still worried that it will get smashed until then but hey!

I was going to get a tough book but the battery life sucks on them and the good CF 08 is 1300ish. My thinking is that i can smash 2 or 3 iPads for the price of one CF 08.
Nipz,

Have you had any luck with your situation since last posting in this thread? I am involved with a new yacht that is launching soon and we are considering using an iPad on deck in conjunction with our Toughbook below. It would be great to hear what your experience has so far been.

Thanks,
CS
Carl Spunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:27 PM   #16
leggwork
macrumors newbie

I have no direct experience with this other than looking at their website, but this "flippad" is supposed to be rugged ...
http://www.futurelabs.co.uk/FlipPad.html

bruce
leggwork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:32 AM   #17
Carl Spunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggwork View Post
I have no direct experience with this other than looking at their website, but this "flippad" is supposed to be rugged ...
http://www.futurelabs.co.uk/FlipPad.html

bruce
Bruce,

Thanks for the tip. That FlipPad is a promising looking product. And as they are still in development, there is a chance they could produce a version without port access as well. I contacted Future Labs and am waiting for a reply. There is a growing market for such a product - albeit not massive. However, if all they have to do is produce a version that is identical sans port access...

Cheers,
Karl
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Jxo177
macrumors newbie

I got an otterbox defender. It's a little bulky but my iPad is basically indestructible. The price tag is a little steep but you will never have to worry. Look on amazon they are usually a little cheaper there.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:13 PM   #19
Carl Spunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxo177 View Post
I got an otterbox defender. It's a little bulky but my iPad is basically indestructible. The price tag is a little steep but you will never have to worry. Look on amazon they are usually a little cheaper there.
I have browsed online at the Otterbox Defender. Does the it even have a screen cover? We have considered using that product inside one of the waterproof bags. I use an Aquapac for my iPhone which is great. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Jxo177
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spunk View Post
I have browsed online at the Otterbox Defender. Does the it even have a screen cover? We have considered using that product inside one of the waterproof bags. I use an Aquapac for my iPhone which is great. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!
The screen protector is not built in but they give you one with the case. There is a hard plastic part that connects to it, it doubles as a 2 position stand but instead of attaching it to the back I put it over the front when I travel with it. It would take a lot of force to break through that and hit the screen.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:34 PM   #21
Carl Spunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxo177 View Post
The screen protector is not built in but they give you one with the case. There is a hard plastic part that connects to it, it doubles as a 2 position stand but instead of attaching it to the back I put it over the front when I travel with it. It would take a lot of force to break through that and hit the screen.
I should clarify - we need a screen cover that is clear and functional as there will occasionally be waves breaking over the iPad. The moisture is really more of a concern than a durable case - not that durability isn't welcome!

Karl
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:05 PM   #22
Jxo177
macrumors newbie

I would look into a waterproof case. Not sure how well otterbox would fare
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:51 PM   #23
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

OtterBox Defender is not waterproof nor really even water resistant. They will tell you that on their website. There is as mentioned a clear screen cover that comes with it.

If you plan to go the OtterBox Defender route I would recommend then putting it in something like the Aquapac if they make one for the iPad. Should work great for you.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #24
leeschill
macrumors member

Scosche's case is FINALLY shipping after 6 months in development. I would love to find out which is more durable..the otterbox or the scosche.
http://www.protectthepad.com/index.p...ipad-case.html

who wants to drop their ipad and test it?
leeschill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:56 AM   #25
87vert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeschill View Post
Scosche's case is FINALLY shipping after 6 months in development. I would love to find out which is more durable..the otterbox or the scosche.
http://www.protectthepad.com/index.p...ipad-case.html

who wants to drop their ipad and test it?
we've had a couple iPad's drop from 4 feet to the hard floor with no problems in Otterbox Defenders.
87vert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories