Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I don't even know if I'm allowed to post this, since the Arrandale thread is closed...

Some of you may remember that I posted on the fourth Arrandale thread about how my friend's dad works at apple, and she said that she knew the release date of the updated MBP, but she wouldn't tell me. I bugged her and bugged her, and she didn't tell me. Today, though, while I was whining and showing her the un-updated page on apple, she mentioned that the release date had been pushed back. I asked her if it was because of the whole graphics card thing, and she said yes. I then asked her what the old release date was, since she might as well tell me now.

She told me it was March 28th.

Now, she's not a very good liar- she's actually a really terrible liar...but that's not a Tuesday, is it? It's a Sunday...which is suspicious. I could assume she was just telling me the day they'd be ready or something, and the plan could have been to release that Tuesday, but I dunno...:confused:

The timeframe does make sense- after the iPad and all- and quite a few other rumors pointed to the end of march.

I know this isn't very solid information, but it's a bit more than a rumor, at least. Tomorrow I'll bother her about that date again, and see what she does- if she seems like she's lying, I shall retract my post xD But I don't think she is...

Of course, all that tells us is that the next three weeks are out.:mad:

In conclusion, I hope I have not broken any rules- yes, I know the one about making stuff up (believe me, I have better things to do than to make something like this up). Hopefully I can get a little more information, or at least verify what I have. Tell me if anything I said was confusing/wrong/evil.

PS- I would have waited to post this until I question her further, but I thought people would appreciate what little information I have as soon as possible. Maybe other people could check around and see if they can corroborate this?

silenahilena

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010
If the original date was March 28th, then I'm guessing they won't come out until late May. Just a wild guess. April doesn't sound right. A 2-3 week difference isn't much if the problem with releasing the MBP's is because of the graphics card thing. I doubt that's something they can solve in 2-3 weeks. I'd give it until late May to early June. It sounds like something they'd need at least a good two-three months to work on.

Plus, there's the iPad hype. They aren't going to release new MBP's when they want all attention on the iPad.

metalblaze

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the info -- FWIW, if some/all of this were true, IMO this indicates MBP release in WWDC (June).

AppleByte

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
If the original date was March 28th, then I'm guessing they won't come out until late May. Just a wild guess. April doesn't sound right. A 2-3 week difference isn't much if the problem with releasing the MBP's is because of the graphics card thing. I doubt that's something they can solve in 2-3 weeks. I'd give it until late May to early June. It sounds like something they'd need at least a good two-three months to work on.

Plus, there's the iPad hype. They aren't going to release new MBP's when they want all attention on the iPad.

they won't release it in late May with WWDC in June.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010

I'm sure they've already been working on the graphics thing- it's probably just taking longer then they expected, so that doesn't really give us any info on how much longer it'll be...but as the poster below you said, that whole WWDC
thing is in June.

What exactly is the history of semi-major refreshes coming as part of an event? I mean, does Apple often release these kinds of things as events? I was under the impression that silent updates were more the norm.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Your friend's dad works for Apple? OK. :rolleyes:

March 28th could be right but so can June 10th.

neondrgns

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
sorry don't think she knows what she is talking about. If they were expected to come out in march 28th, they wouldn't all of a sudden decide they were having problems with the graphics card. This would suggest that they are still in prototype stages. I figure after they worked out whatever, they will take maybe a week for testing and stress tests. Which would mean no production yet. I figure to mass enough supply they would need to do at least a month's worth of production and then ship it out. I doubt they would have just changed the date 2 days ago all of a sudden.

your intentions may be good or they may be trolling, but I am calling fake on this. If apple is still having problems with the graphics card then they are screwed, it takes months to get a product from prototype to production. I don't know what graphics problem you are referring to. There is no graphics problem. Article just came out stating only Win 7 for optimus so its not an nvidia problem. So no graphics switching, nvidia 330m has been out for a while and successfully implemented by other companies. theres no shortage, its only for desktop gpus that may or may not have shortages.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
sorry don't think she knows what she is talking about. If they were expected to come out in march 28th, they wouldn't all of a sudden decide they were having problems with the graphics card. This would suggest that they are still in prototype stages. I figure after they worked out whatever, they will take maybe a week for testing and stress tests. Which would mean no production yet. I figure to mass enough supply they would need to do at least a month's worth of production and then ship it out. I doubt they would have just changed the date 2 days ago all of a sudden.

Well, that date is almost a month from now, still, and look at the 27" iMac production- at the beginning it was slow because of various issues, and only now is the supply good. But I get your point.

neondrgns

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Apple should also be up against a time frame, i know that the release schedule doesnt mean anything and its just a pattern, but it would make sense for them to keep it. june would be too late, apple would be half a year behind their competitors.

bananaboi

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
I don't even know if I'm allowed to post this, since the Arrandale thread is closed...

Some of you may remember that I posted on the fourth Arrandale thread about how my friend's dad works at apple, and she said that she knew the release date of the updated MBP, but she wouldn't tell me. I bugged her and bugged her, and she didn't tell me. Today, though, while I was whining and showing her the un-updated page on apple, she mentioned that the release date had been pushed back. I asked her if it was because of the whole graphics card thing, and she said yes. I then asked her what the old release date was, since she might as well tell me now.

Now, she's not a very good liar- she's actually a really terrible liar...but that's not a Tuesday, is it? It's a Sunday...which is suspicious. I could assume she was just telling me the day they'd be ready or something, and the plan could have been to release that Tuesday, but I dunno...:confused:

The timeframe does make sense- after the iPad and all- and quite a few other rumors pointed to the end of march.

I know this isn't very solid information, but it's a bit more than a rumor, at least. Tomorrow I'll bother her about that date again, and see what she does- if she seems like she's lying, I shall retract my post xD But I don't think she is...

Of course, all that tells us is that the next three weeks are out.:mad:

In conclusion, I hope I have not broken any rules- yes, I know the one about making stuff up (believe me, I have better things to do than to make something like this up). Hopefully I can get a little more information, or at least verify what I have. Tell me if anything I said was confusing/wrong/evil.

PS- I would have waited to post this until I question her further, but I thought people would appreciate what little information I have as soon as possible. Maybe other people could check around and see if they can corroborate this?

I don't want to criticize you but I doubt a daughter of an Apple insider would have any information regarding the MBP refresh. Why would any Apple employee risk his job by sharing insider information. I'm sure his daughter would understand that their family's finances would be on the line.

You even said it yourself: March 28th is a Sunday. From what I know, Apple has never released a product on a Sunday.

I'm not saying that what you've told us is fake.. I'm saying that what your friend told you is fake. She is lying about knowing when the MBP will be refreshed.

silenahilena

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010
Well, I have an idea. Since I'm so hyped on getting an Apple laptop, I think I'll just get the new white unibody Macbook for now for $899. Hey, I may even end up falling in love with it.

Plus, they were just refreshed not too long ago, so it won't lose its value so much when I sell it on Ebay to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro.

neondrgns

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Well, I have an idea. Since I'm so hyped on getting an Apple laptop, I think I'll just get the new white unibody Macbook for now for $899. Hey, I may even end up falling in love with it.

Plus, they were just refreshed not too long ago, so it won't lose its value so much when I sell it on Ebay to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro.

http://microcenter.com/single_produ...um=leader_bnr&utm_campaign=hmpg_macbook173070

hey buddy here is one for $799
$749 if you don't mind open box, better act fast

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia

I was told that it would be late march/early april by an Apple store employee, they based this prediction on the thousands of current-gen MBP's they had received a few days prior.

So this seems to be the most likely time for a refresh.

silenahilena

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008

Translation: Let me waist money because I'm too impatient to wait. I will never understand these, "let me buy it now, and sell it in a month" mentalities, or buy now and return for 15% restocking fee. Some people have too much money to waist... If want one now, get it because you need it and be happy with it.

tga3

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010

My exact approach. If you live near a MicroCenter store, you can get them for $799 (in-store only): http://www.microcenter.com

silenahilena

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010
Translation: Let me waist money because I'm too impatient to wait. I will never understand these, "let me buy it now, and sell it in a month" mentalities, or buy now and return for 15% restocking fee. Some people have too much money to waist... If want one now, get it because you need it and be happy with it.

I don't think I'll be wasting any money since it's the plain Macbook, and I doubt they'll get refreshed when the MBPs get refreshed. I'll just buy one on sale and sell it locally or on Ebay.

I do really need this laptop, but I'll also feel a little slighted if I get the MBP and find out there's new ones in the next two months - which is why the Macbook plan might just work out for me.

I only wish I had too much money to waste...my dad is on unemployment compensation, I work about 20 hours a week to help my dad, I'm a straight-A student, and have tons of extracurriculars. I'm a pretty busy, responsible kid....who needs a new laptop. lol

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I don't want to criticize you but I doubt a daughter of an Apple insider would have any information regarding the MBP refresh. Why would any Apple employee risk his job by sharing insider information. I'm sure his daughter would understand that their family's finances would be on the line.

You even said it yourself: March 28th is a Sunday. From what I know, Apple has never released a product on a Sunday.

I'm not saying that what you've told us is fake.. I'm saying that what your friend told you is fake. She is lying about knowing when the MBP will be refreshed.

I don't doubt that she actually knew the date...Confidential information is rarely really confidential among families, I've noticed- my mom is a therapist, for example, and what she tells me about her patients exceeds the limits of confidentiality. Another of my friend's dad is a doctor, and she has quite a few stories about his patients.

She certainly could have been deceiving me about the actual date...but that wouldn't really benefit her (as opposed to just not telling me anything).

Regardless, though, the info is dated at best.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I asked her if it was because of the whole graphics card thing, and she said yes.
What exactly is the graphic gard problem ?

Btw, I think we should keep the discussion here really related to the OP's post and avoid just other speculations otherwise the topic could get closed by the mods.

cheers

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
It does fit in with the southern hemisphere back to school ipod deal closing at the end of march....

chandler55

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
if march 28 is the old date, then not only would it not come in 3 weeks, it wouldnt come for a while eh?

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for the info. Let´s see, maybe the whole graphic card thingy is a fake again and the MBP really pops out as planned the week after the iPad Launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.