Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
scottshelp
macrumors newbie

got my friends iphone, charge it and freezes on apple logo + home button wont work?

hi there,

i was given an iphone because a friend upgraded and i have no idea how to use it. it came up with a low battery logo so i plugged it into my macbook to charge and it then launches the apple logo and freezes after the little circle loading thing goes round once. it then stays like that for 5-10 minutes and goes white, then back to the apple screen and repeats. it doesn't show up in my itunes.

i don't have a sim card in it at the minute, could that be a cause??

i also hear but dont know how to test that she believes the home button doesnt work, or doesnt work well. what on earth am i to do to fix this? i'm a total newbie to iphones so any help would be greatfully recieved.

thanks a lot for reading!
scottshelp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

im not the smartest knife in the drawer but it seem to me the connector is faulty. if im wrong it wont matter but if someone else knows tell him
or put it in dfu mode and restore ( but confirm that before u do it)
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
scottshelp
macrumors newbie

sorry, what's dfu mode?

thanks a lot for the reply.

i'm hoping there's a reasonably quick fix, im not so bothered about the home button problem, just want to get it up and running so i have a phone until i buy a new iphone when my contract runs out in may
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:39 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshelp View Post
sorry, what's dfu mode?

thanks a lot for the reply.

i'm hoping there's a reasonably quick fix, im not so bothered about the home button problem, just want to get it up and running so i have a phone until i buy a new iphone when my contract runs out in may
It may be time for the Dr. to.....

You won't be able to get in DFU mode, because supposedly your home button doesn't work. If it does, follow the guide in my sig. However, if your friend told you right, then it's going to be quite a pain to use a phone that has an intermittent home button.

You'll need a sim card to activate the phone, but that's after you get it recognized by iTunes. You can remove it after activation and make it an iPod Touch, if you want.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:15 PM   #5
scottshelp
macrumors newbie

no DFU wont work since the home button is dead

who can i contact to repair it?

would apple be the best way or are there any decent third parties?

also, a rough estimate at the cost for the home button fix (i guess that will solve any real problems) will be good!?
thanks for the replies again!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Gadgetgeezer
macrumors regular

I would PM you with help, but you don't allow PMs!!!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting