Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:43 PM   #1
rcaqua
macrumors newbie

Smile Air Superdrive regional compatibility

The following is perhaps an FAQ for more experienced members but I could not find a ref on other posts, so here goes: I understand the external superdrive for the macbook air is stuck on a "region" for DVD viewing (US vs. Europe, etc). This can only be changed a few times before the drive locks into the last regional position chosen. I travel constantly from one continent to the other and have batches of DVDs from both sides.

My question: is there a workaround to allow the drive to switch endlessly from one region to another (I recall there was one for older iBooks)?

Thanks for any help.
rcaqua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 02:08 PM   #2
krimsen
macrumors member

try browsing http://forum.rpc1.org/, I've had some luck with my last MBP and the Powerbook before that one. Didn't try yet with the new book.

What it comes down to is
* replace the firmware of the drive
* use an app called "Region X" to switch the active region (don't use DVD Player or anything else)
* enjoy
krimsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air