Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbay2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I am currently in the Market for a new Macbook pro. I have my eyes set on the 2.8 GHz 15 inch model with an upgraded screen. I'm a student who has received a grant that I must spend use by the middle of April.

What I will use this laptop for:
Programming
Entertainment
Photoshop/Illustrator (web design)
Perhaps some gaming..

Currently I have a Blackbook 2 GHz that I'm selling (irrelevant fact?)

I'm looking for opinions and ideas on how I should proceed with this. I have 2850 to spend on a laptop and I need to provide a receipt to the government and repay any unspent money.

My problem with buying the current MBP is simple.. it is quite outdated in my opinion. Core 2 Duo's have been out for a long time and if I purchase an MBP now, I feel I am not getting the best value per dollar spent. On the other hand, will the new refresh provide me with such an improvement that it is worth the wait? The only improvements I can foresee is a processor upgrade and video card update. The mobile core i5's and i7's are still 2 cores (with 2 virtual cores?). Is it worth the wait? Will I buy this generation MBP only to get **** on by Apple with a faster/sleeker/sexier MBP weeks or months later? Is there any way that I can perhaps upgrade the MBP if a new model is released shortly after..?

Anyways just looking for ideas, thoughts, opinions on this dilemma.

P.S sorry for the awkward spacing, I find it easier to read if I separate my thoughts.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm sure someone will say it, so I'll spit it out first.

Get the current gen Macbook that you want. Apple should email the receipt to you. You can print one out for the government to have, and print out a 2nd to return the computer. Wait until the refresh, and use the credit towards a new machine.

In the mean time, you can use your blackbook.

Unethical? yes... But that is my thought.

gbay2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I read somewhere on the Apple site that there is a 10% restocking fee applied to returns? Is this true for Macbooks? (bought in Canada)

aumnevergiveup

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
Indonesia
i prefer to wait until apple refresh their product. sure it will get bored, but it's worth. just use your existing mac :D hope it'll the best for you.

Waldszenen

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Sydney
if you choose to wait, be prepared to wait until june,.

Any evidence of that?

Some people say it will be out in as little as a week, maybe two. Others say wait until June/July/August/2012. Some could have sworn they were meant to be released last months.

Fact is, no one knows.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Haven't Apple issued refreshed/speed bumped machines shortly after an OS X point upgrade more than once or twice?

10.6.3 should be out very soon
Just saying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.