Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
EdTyler
macrumors newbie

Multiple Web sites configured for single IP

It is my understanding that the Mac Mini running OSX 10.6 server can be configured to run multiple web sites with different domain names on a single IP address. I have set up two sites with totally different domain names and can access them by toggling the port numbers. Port 80 default or 8080 as the alternate. I can force access by changing the web domain naming, ie domain.com vs www.domain.com. Incoming requests go to the first site in the list and they are sorted alphabetically.

The question is how do I set them up so that site xdomain.com receives only its reuests and site ydomain.com receives only the requests directed to it.

I used the server manager software to set up the second site as a custom site and the site works using the port numbers to force direction but not by using only the domain name for a URL.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ed
EdTyler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

no need to mess with ports. buy your domain names and point them to your IP, then tell their DNS servers what the exact path is for each site. Like www.mysite.com/site1, then mask that so the address is seen by the user as the domain name of the site. You can have as many sites do that as you want.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
hakuryuu
macrumors 6502

http://developer.apple.com/server/optimizexserve.html

Yeah it says xserve, but its all about the software.
Mac Pro 3.7GHz | 12GB | D300
hakuryuu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking