Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
That's the new dell u2711 as a second monitor on display port and primary on dvi on the pc.

Yes the imac display is still slightly better.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
but u got rid of your dell box? i am thinking of getting a imac but cant let my dell box go .. as i have almost 2 TB data in it ... is there a weasy way of connecting dell box to imac ?

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
What's a dell box? :)

I have a pc I built under the desk. The u2711 is really for that but the added bonus is using it as a secondary with the imac via displayport.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
What's a dell box? :)

I have a pc I built under the desk. The u2711 is really for that but the added bonus is using it as a secondary with the imac via displayport.

dell box i meant PC :) ...

so is ur PC connected some how or u are just using the display ?

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
The dell monitor has multiple inputs.
Photo 5 and 6 are the PC on DVI input 1
The others are the Imac on displayport.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Gorgeous!
Love the vertical arrangement for the PC screen. What a sweet way to read tall websites.

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Any yellow tinge on the Dell monitor?

I have not calibrated either really but I would be lying if I did not say the whites on the dell were slightly more yellow but i feel like I could tweak them out with proper settings.

On my old dell 3007wfp there was nothing I could do to fix that.

The stand is the innovative 7500 that was recommended for the imac on these forums. Amazon has it for 99.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I have not calibrated either really but I would be lying if I did not say the whites on the dell were slightly more yellow but i feel like I could tweak them out with proper settings.

On my old dell 3007wfp there was nothing I could do to fix that.

Cool thanks for the thorough answer. If I ever go dual monitor with my 27" iMac, that's pretty much the only secondary monitor I'd use.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Those pictures are great and remind me why I like glossy monitors better than matte....the colors just pop.

OP: how good is the Dell for gaming? Any scaling issues?

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Those pictures are great and remind me why I like glossy monitors better than matte....the colors just pop.

OP: how good is the Dell for gaming? Any scaling issues?

I did get the cheaper displayport cable. Sorry linked to the wrong one.

Dell is fine for gaming I think. No ghosting issues yet for me.

Aug 26, 2008
What do you like better about the iMac display? It's the same panel, doesn't it come down to matte vs. glossy? I much prefer matte, it's a more accurate display type.

Also, you should try the yellow tinge test on both monitors side by side. That would be great actually. Calibrate both monitors beforehand, it sounds like your iMac has a cooler white setting at the moment.

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
First and foremost the AntiGlare coating on this monitor which is the same as my old 3007wfp is downright disgusting and having them side by side is shocking in that respect. My wife noticed it without me saying anything instantly.
I know this is just the way it is with matte IPS at the moment and I will just live with it.
I do not know why I thought maybe LG and dell had taken steps to remedy this. Silly me. It's only been like 5-6 with the same crap coating on these.

I know glossy is less accurate but I would take it any day of the week over matte for that reason. A matte screen with a truly transparent AG coating would be best.

The apple display is certainly "cooler" in color than the dell.
It's tough to get a clean cooler setting out of the dell without messing things up.
I will work on getting things calibrated but I have no calibrator at the moment.

What do you like better about the iMac display? It's the same panel, doesn't it come down to matte vs. glossy? I much prefer matte, it's a more accurate display type.

Also, you should try the yellow tinge test on both monitors side by side. That would be great actually. Calibrate both monitors beforehand, it sounds like your iMac has a cooler white setting at the moment.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Try Supercal for a quick and dirty calibration without using a calibrator. It should be more than enough to bring the displays closer together until you have a proper calibrator.

Aug 26, 2008
First and foremost the AntiGlare coating on this monitor which is the same as my old 3007wfp is downright disgusting and having them side by side is shocking in that respect. My wife noticed it without me saying anything instantly.
I know this is just the way it is with matte IPS at the moment and I will just live with it.
I do not know why I thought maybe LG and dell had taken steps to remedy this. Silly me. It's only been like 5-6 with the same crap coating on these.

I know glossy is less accurate but I would take it any day of the week over matte for that reason. A matte screen with a truly transparent AG coating would be best.

The apple display is certainly "cooler" in color than the dell.
It's tough to get a clean cooler setting out of the dell without messing things up.
I will work on getting things calibrated but I have no calibrator at the moment.

That sucks on the coating. I've seen some VERY picky people say it's fine though, and not as bad as the u2410. Of course I haven't seen any of these in person so I can't tell. My Dell 2209wa seems fine though, so I am hoping it is similar. I would be very interested to see one of these in action...

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
That sucks on the coating. I've seen some VERY picky people say it's fine though, and not as bad as the u2410. Of course I haven't seen any of these in person so I can't tell. My Dell 2209wa seems fine though, so I am hoping it is similar. I would be very interested to see one of these in action...

Next to the imac it is like open window vs dirty closed window. Images lose pop also......

but alone I adjust and forget about it. I did with my 3007wfp for years.

Aug 26, 2008
Next to the imac it is like open window vs dirty closed window. Images lose pop also......

but alone I adjust and forget about it. I did with my 3007wfp for years.

Well I would rather have accurate images than ones that are over saturated and appealing to media consumption. I use my machines for creation. But I hear you on the glossy vs matte "clarity", but that exists with any matte screen I think, to varying degrees. Plus the gloss is just way way too reflective. I had two iMac's for about a month and anything that wasn't searingly bright, you end up seeing yourself. But I know some people don't mind it so...basically...

Nice monitors. :p

nafai23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
i agree, refections are annoying but in a darker room if you have one monitor with clear glass over the panel and one with a dingy film glued on, all things equal in calibration and panel the glossy will be more accurate. It has to be.

There is nothing that glueing that stuff on does to make things more accurate.

Well I would rather have accurate images than ones that are over saturated and appealing to media consumption. I use my machines for creation. But I hear you on the glossy vs matte "clarity", but that exists with any matte screen I think, to varying degrees. Plus the gloss is just way way too reflective. I had two iMac's for about a month and anything that wasn't searingly bright, you end up seeing yourself. But I know some people don't mind it so...basically...

Nice monitors. :p

Aug 26, 2008
i agree, refections are annoying but in a darker room if you have one monitor with clear glass over the panel and one with a dingy film glued on, all things equal in calibration and panel the glossy will be more accurate. It has to be.

There is nothing that glueing that stuff on does to make things more accurate.

Well there is a reason that photographers GREATLY prefer matte screens...

But in the end you have a matte and glossy version of one of the best panels out there right now so...you sort of win at everything I guess? :p

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
That's the new dell u2711 as a second monitor on display port and primary on dvi on the pc.

Yes the imac display is still slightly better.

How is the Dell display? I plan on purchasing one and using it for my HD cable box, Blu Ray player and Mac Mini.

I was thinking about just getting the 27" iMac but the Dell supports all the resolutions and has an array of inputs for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.