Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wflan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I was wondering if there is a way to flip the left and right audio on a mac pro under 10.6.

The speakers are a little wonky the way I have to set them up and if there's a unix command, application/extension, or preference I'm not aware of, I'd really appreciate the tip!

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
There actually is! Go to /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup, select your output device, and click "Configure Speakers".

wflan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
brilliant!

I'd never have found that just poking around. I'm surprised there isn't an equalizer setting...

--

Any reason the default output is 44khz? any harm in running my Bose Companion 2 s at 48 or 96?

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Yeah, they managed to hide it pretty well...but I'm guessing that if it were easy to stumble across, we'd be seeing lots more "Help! Why are my speakers reversed??" threads ;)

As for the sample rate, you won't physically harm anything by bumping it up, but people have reported problems with some applications when the sample rate is set to anything other than 44.1 KHz. If you're curious, it's worth bumping it up just to see what happens. If you have software that can output at a higher sample rate, then you should be fine, but if you find that many programs suddenly won't output any audio, you should probably switch back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.