Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
I'm about to order a 27" Core i5 iMac and would like to get the wired keyboard with numeric pad instead of the wireless one.

Would this simple change be considered built to order to Apple?

Is there still a policy about not being to return BTO products for a full refund? I'm in Canada, in case the return and refund policy differ from the US.

Googling for the obvious "Apple BTO return" does give me results that Apple simply does not accept returns or refunds for BTO products but looking at their current return and refund policy on their website says nothing about BTO. I do remember seeing such a policy back in 2006 when I ordered my MacBook, which happened to be BTO.

I'd just like to have some peace of mind knowing I could simply get a full refund in case I'm not satisfied with my purchase for any reason whatsoever.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
I'm about to order a 27" Core i5 iMac and would like to get the wired keyboard with numeric pad instead of the wireless one.

Would this simple change be considered built to order to Apple?

Is there still a policy about not being to return BTO products for a full refund? I'm in Canada, in case the return and refund policy differ from the US.

Googling for the obvious "Apple BTO return" does give me results that Apple simply does not accept returns or refunds for BTO products but looking at their current return and refund policy on their website says nothing about BTO. I do remember seeing such a policy back in 2006 when I ordered my MacBook, which happened to be BTO.

I'd just like to have some peace of mind knowing I could simply get a full refund in case I'm not satisfied with my purchase for any reason whatsoever.

i am pretty sure changing mouse or keyboard is NOT BTO ....

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Changing anything that differs from the stock config is a BTO. Your order has to be built for your order (there are no iMacs with num pad KB in stock). Try it in Apple Online Store, changing mouse or KB changes the shipping time from 24 hours to 1-3 business days.

I'm not sure about the refund thing but we have a law here in Finland that all items bought through internet or phone must have 14-day return policy, no matter is it BTO or not. Call Apple and ask, that's the easiest way

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Yes especially because that's a pretty big change, i think it's not a BTO if you change the language of one, but the model is a total BTO

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Yea, I would think this would be considered a BTO change too. Sure, they didn't have to crack open the computer case, BUT they can't just refurb and put everything back inside the box and sell it if it gets returned as it's not a typical iMac 'package'.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Crud, gotta love these self protection policies that companies have for themselves. ;)

I'll call Apple Canada and see what's their official word on returns and refunds on an order like this then but according to their website, I think it should be returnable.

Maybe I ought to just get the iMac completely stock as is and buy the wired keyboard separately for $49 to save me some headache. If I take this route, I could even just get it at the Apple retail store instead and get it right away.

easy-mac

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
I'm not sure if this still applies or not since the wireless mouse and keyboard are standard configuration, but 2 years ago or so when my sister got her iMac she got it with the wireless keyboard and mouse option from the Apple Store, so I doubt they'd really consider changing the keyboard a BTO, but things may have changed.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
At the online store or a retail store?

I've called the retail store and they said I could get a wired keyboard if I wanted, that is if I buy it separately. ;)

Then called Apple Canada and the sales representative said changing the keyboard would make it not eligible for a return or refund.

Oh well… I'll get the wired keyboard separately then. Spending $49 for the peace of mind of being able to return it.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Yeah, I guess that would be the safest option if I ever plan on returning the computer for any reason.

Plus I can just get it at a retail store right away instead of waiting for shipping. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.