Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacYost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
The Netherlands
I own a 13" MacBook Pro since last July. I always put it to sleep by closing the lid. But it will not always stay asleep: sometimes I return to my MBP after a good night's sleep to discover that the sleep led stopped blinking and the notebook is red hot, with its fans blowing at top speed. Opening the lid will not awake the MBP, though. I get a black screen and the only thing that helps is a hard reset.

Does any one know why MBP seems to awake from sleep with the lid closed and starts overheating itself?

(I also posted a related problem: not being able to awake from sleep, but without first overheating)

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Try turning off any settings that might wake the computer, such as Bluetooth (uncheck "allow bluetooth devices to wake computer from sleep").

MacYost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have nothing plugged into the usb ports, am not using any bluetooth device and "wake on bluetooth" = off. I found a setting about waking from sleep by the network, and put that to off also. I cannot easily check if this solves the problem, because the problem does not happen very often.

Punker

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
This happened to me once, just after i had disabled the sudden motion sensor. (beach ball hell, i tried this as a solution as suggested by many)

After i renabled it, it never happened again.

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
Running VMWare?
If you forget to properly shut down Windoze, it seems to do some funky things like you are mentioning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.