Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

View Poll Results: Will you buy a Screen Protector?
Yes 24 32.43%
No 34 45.95%
Maybe, not sure yet. 16 21.62%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:43 AM   #1
melman101
macrumors 68000

Are you buying a Screen Protector?

Right now I'm on the fence. We know they will make them. How hard will it be to apply? My credit card isn't that big :-). Do you think an Apple Case will be just fine? That's what I'm planning right now.

I do have a Crystal Film on 3GS and I love it.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
JimmyTheKnife
macrumors member

Not necessary

I won't be buying one. Experience with my iPhone shows that the screens are extremely tough and it just adds another layer between your fingers and the screen.

Having said that, I will be using a case when the unit is 'on the road'. But that's more for the aluminum back than anything else.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
mark34
macrumors 6502

Screen protectors are awful and ruin the experience (my opinion). They are never perfectly installed and would drive my OCD crazy. Even if perfect, the experience is unpleasant from a tactile perspective.
mark34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:03 AM   #4
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

A Screen Protector? I'm almost positive I read the iPad comes with an anti-fingerprint coating. You won't be putting it in a pocket. It's a $499 (or more) appliance that doesn't travel well. My conclusion is that a screen protector isn't needed. Just buy an Apple Care extended warranty. More money to Apple = more amazing devices from them. Keey the economy flowing!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:17 PM   #5
frank.deale
macrumors member

I would consider one. I have Zagg invisible shield on my Touch and am very pleased with it. But I'll wait to see what the early buyers say.
frank.deale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:38 PM   #6
oneeach
macrumors member

I don't think a screen protector will be needed if you get a good case to carry it around in.
oneeach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:11 PM   #7
vini-vidi-vici
macrumors 6502

I have one on my touch, and don't even notice it's there. It totally saved my screen from a big gouge about a month ago.

But, with the iPad I have mixed feelings. I think it'd be hard to get on there straight and with no bubbles. On the other hand, the bigger screen is more screen to get scratched.

btw, nobody is worried about fingerprints... it's scratches we're worried about.
vini-vidi-vici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8
dagomike
macrumors 65816

This all over again?

It's not hard to install a static screen protector. Scratches suck.

With that said, I'm not sure. I don't see the iPad getting nearly the wear my phone sees. I'll probably go naked for a week or two, then try one, then decide if I want to keep it on there or not.
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:26 AM   #9
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

I had my 3G for over a year and a half before buying a 3GS, and so far, neither of them had any scratches on the screen. I would be happy with a giant rubber-like case that leaves the screen open.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Mew2468
macrumors regular

Depends - I'll probably go to the Apple Store, check out the iPad demo (if I can get anywhere near it) and see how many cracks/scratches/fingerprints it has already collected.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 07:31 PM   #11
TRAG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew2468 View Post
Depends - I'll probably go to the Apple Store, check out the iPad demo (if I can get anywhere near it) and see how many cracks/scratches/fingerprints it has already collected.
Exactly what I'll be doing. I have a screen protector from the Apple Store on my 3GS and I honesty cannot tell it is on there. So if I can protect against a scratch, if it were to occur or not, I'd have the guys at the Apple Store install it on my iPad.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 07:34 PM   #12
scottness
macrumors 65816

I've been fine without a screen protector on my iphones... so probably not. If I get a decent case that covers it in transport, then absolutely not. Nothing gets between me and my touchscreens.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:26 PM   #13
*LTD*
Banned

Perhaps a very thin plastic backing that clamps nicely along the edges of the device.

I used to have a screen protector for my iPhone. I discovered a few months ago that such a thing is unnecessary. The iPhone's screen is *very* tough, and even with moderately rough use remains totally pristine, like the day I bought it.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

I am. I'm going with Steinhall Anti-Glare when it's released. I can't stand finger prints! I have it on my iPhone and love it.
Apple Expert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:50 PM   #15
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

i may consider it, perhaps an anti-glare film.

an iPad and the leather case would be enough i think, it looks really functional and slick.
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16
alphaod
macrumors Core

I'm going to leave the iPad in the box shrink wrapped. Won't need a screen protector for that!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:46 AM   #17
gt1948
macrumors regular

no screen protection here

Not here, I 've had great performance out of my iPhone 3GS and I carry it in my pocket with a set of keys, no scratches to date. The coating on the iPhone is the same as on the iPad fromm what I read. Great product.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories