Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a Screen Protector?

• Yes

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Maybe, not sure yet.

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Right now I'm on the fence. We know they will make them. How hard will it be to apply? My credit card isn't that big :). Do you think an Apple Case will be just fine? That's what I'm planning right now.

I do have a Crystal Film on 3GS and I love it.

JimmyTheKnife

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Oregon, USA
Not necessary

I won't be buying one. Experience with my iPhone shows that the screens are extremely tough and it just adds another layer between your fingers and the screen.

Having said that, I will be using a case when the unit is 'on the road'. But that's more for the aluminum back than anything else.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Screen protectors are awful and ruin the experience (my opinion). They are never perfectly installed and would drive my OCD crazy. Even if perfect, the experience is unpleasant from a tactile perspective.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
A Screen Protector? I'm almost positive I read the iPad comes with an anti-fingerprint coating. You won't be putting it in a pocket. It's a $499 (or more) appliance that doesn't travel well. My conclusion is that a screen protector isn't needed. Just buy an Apple Care extended warranty. ;) More money to Apple = more amazing devices from them. Keey the economy flowing!

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I would consider one. I have Zagg invisible shield on my Touch and am very pleased with it. But I'll wait to see what the early buyers say.

oneeach

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
I don't think a screen protector will be needed if you get a good case to carry it around in.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I have one on my touch, and don't even notice it's there. It totally saved my screen from a big gouge about a month ago.

But, with the iPad I have mixed feelings. I think it'd be hard to get on there straight and with no bubbles. On the other hand, the bigger screen is more screen to get scratched.

btw, nobody is worried about fingerprints... it's scratches we're worried about.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
This all over again?

It's not hard to install a static screen protector. Scratches suck.

With that said, I'm not sure. I don't see the iPad getting nearly the wear my phone sees. I'll probably go naked for a week or two, then try one, then decide if I want to keep it on there or not.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I had my 3G for over a year and a half before buying a 3GS, and so far, neither of them had any scratches on the screen. I would be happy with a giant rubber-like case that leaves the screen open.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Depends - I'll probably go to the Apple Store, check out the iPad demo (if I can get anywhere near it) and see how many cracks/scratches/fingerprints it has already collected.

Exactly what I'll be doing. I have a screen protector from the Apple Store on my 3GS and I honesty cannot tell it is on there. So if I can protect against a scratch, if it were to occur or not, I'd have the guys at the Apple Store install it on my iPad.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I've been fine without a screen protector on my iphones... so probably not. If I get a decent case that covers it in transport, then absolutely not. Nothing gets between me and my touchscreens.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Perhaps a very thin plastic backing that clamps nicely along the edges of the device.

I used to have a screen protector for my iPhone. I discovered a few months ago that such a thing is unnecessary. The iPhone's screen is *very* tough, and even with moderately rough use remains totally pristine, like the day I bought it.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I am. I'm going with Steinhall Anti-Glare when it's released. I can't stand finger prints! I have it on my iPhone and love it.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
i may consider it, perhaps an anti-glare film.

an iPad and the leather case would be enough i think, it looks really functional and slick.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm going to leave the iPad in the box shrink wrapped. Won't need a screen protector for that!

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
no screen protection here

Not here, I 've had great performance out of my iPhone 3GS and I carry it in my pocket with a set of keys, no scratches to date. The coating on the iPhone is the same as on the iPad fromm what I read. Great product.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.