Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:12 AM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread... part i5

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Feel free to post legitimate speculation. If you feel somebody is intentionally trolling or posting misleading information, please report the post. I'll also report the header from the previous thread.

-------------------

Please keep the following in mind:

Clearly people are itching for a new MacBook Pro. However in the past few weeks there have been numerous threads and posts posting deliberately false and misleading information.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:For...ings_Not_to_Do

Please take a look at numbers 4 and 5:

Quote:
4. "Trolling". Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned. Basically, don't try to pick fights. Knowingly posting false information is also prohibited.
5. Any ongoing actions that make more work for the moderators and administrators or regularly annoy other members and require moderator action. If banning you is easier than dealing with the problems you are causing, you will be banned.

Going forward, please report any such posts and they will be dealt with accordingly.

Unless you have a relevant link from a reputable site, do not make threads stating that tomorrow is Tuesday (we all have access to a calendar) or that the Apple store is up (it generally is).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:15 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Part i5. I love it. One might consider that trolling.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:15 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

Let the groaning begi....err, continue. Hopefully we don't make it all the way up to i7...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Harry.yrraH
macrumors newbie

Thanks Panda.

How many posts is this now?

Anyway quick question. If the standard HDD would become 500gb for the new mbp's would the SSD option drop in price at all?

Well im asking really is the SSD option price different from when the current MBPs were released?
Harry.yrraH is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:17 AM   #5
der Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Part i5. I love it. One might consider that trolling.
we'll be here for part i7 for sure... anyway: maybe april would be a better choice, since the new fiscal year starts then. this delay is definitely involuntary.
der Sam is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:21 AM   #6
niuniu
Banned

I gave up near the end of thread 3. Has there been anything at all recently by way of speculation that was worth noting? [title is win!]
niuniu is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:22 AM   #7
oldgeezers940
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Sam View Post
we'll be here for part i7 for sure... anyway: maybe april would be a better choice, since the new fiscal year starts then. this delay is definitely involuntary.
What are you saying you believe? that April is a better choice, or that the delay is involuntary. if the delay is involuntary then they aren't choosing april. and if they choose april, the delay isn't involuntary...
oldgeezers940 is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:22 AM   #8
gfiz
macrumors 6502

Wow, won't say thanks anymore, don't want my post deleted...

Anyway, got to thinking about this who "Tuesday" update thing...other than it being historically the day of the week, is there any rational reason why it has been Tuesdays in the past? Just Steve's favorite day of the week? Or was it some coincidence from different shows they did like MacWorld and just stick to it?

And yes, I used MRoogle for "Tuesdays", got a couple thousand choices for "Why Tuesday updates?"...
gfiz is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Kilamite
macrumors G3

So, with the iPad being released in April, what was this Best Buy rumour that some guy's dad was a delivery driver for FedEx and delivered a box to Best Buy from Apple saying don't open until March 23rd..?
Kilamite is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:26 AM   #10
wandrer2
macrumors member

Ah, we're still going strong!

However, as I explained earlier, the previous thread should have been named i5. Since I is Roman for 1, and V is Roman for 5, and IV is Roman for 4, i5 = IV = 4.
wandrer2 is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:29 AM   #11
dpru
macrumors newbie

Are weekends the new Tuesdays?

- iPad availability announcement on a Friday (weekend)
- iPad pre-order date on a Friday (weekend)
- iPad availability date on a Saturday (weekend)

Weekends!
dpru is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Pleepleus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry.yrraH View Post

Anyway quick question. If the standard HDD would become 500gb for the new mbp's would the SSD option drop in price at all?

Well im asking really is the SSD option price different from when the current MBPs were released?
Street SSD prices haven't really dropped at all in terms of price per GB so this is highly doubtful.
Pleepleus is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:32 AM   #13
der Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezers940 View Post
What are you saying you believe? that April is a better choice, or that the delay is involuntary. if the delay is involuntary then they aren't choosing april. and if they choose april, the delay isn't involuntary...
i'm saying the delay is involuntary as in they would have released it in february, if they could. now that they are this close to the new fiscal year, i believe the macbooks might be ready soon, but due to the involuntary delay they might want to release them in april.
der Sam is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:32 AM   #14
gianly1985
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiz View Post
, is there any rational reason why it has been Tuesdays in the past? Just Steve's favorite day of the week? Or was it some coincidence from different shows they did like MacWorld and just stick to it??"...
I think tuesday is the best to get worldwide media coverage and get the most out of the week. Monday is too close to Sunday (if not Sunday night some where), people is sad, you can't (or it's difficult) deliver stuff o set up retail stores the night before, etc

With Tuesday you get the whole week (or so) but you avoid the "summoning sickness" of Monday.
gianly1985 is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:32 AM   #15
applemike
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpru View Post
Are weekends the new Tuesdays?

- iPad availability announcement on a Friday (weekend)
- iPad pre-order date on a Friday (weekend)
- iPad availability date on a Saturday (weekend)

Weekends!
Since when was friday a weekend?? has someting changed recently???

I still think they wont be available untill june, mainly bause of the GPU's and steam coming to the mac.

Apple will want to get the GPU right for that! attract a whole new market

Mike
And love is not enough
applemike is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Streethawk
macrumors 6502

Probably, it makes a lot of sense to release products on days when most people can get the stores and arent stuck in their workplace.
Streethawk is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:35 AM   #17
der Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
Probably, it makes a lot of sense to release products on days when most people can get the stores and arent stuck in their workplace.
especially if the product is crappy. meet ipad.

the use of words like "magical" and "revolutionary" happens so inflationary at apple, that i believe guys are delusional over there.
der Sam is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:36 AM   #18
wandrer2
macrumors member

It may also be desirable to have this useful FAQ by RhymesWithSeven on the first page of these threads:

Source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=#post9374331

Quote:
Yes, this thread DOES need a FAQ. So here's a start:

#1 - Why are you all here?

- We're waiting for an inevitable refresh / update of Apple's Mac Book Pro line of laptops (13", 15" 17")

#2 - When will they be released?

- Dude, if we knew, we wouldn't be here. No one knows. Possibly the first half of March, perhaps April, maybe even June.

#3 - What will happen with the current Core 2 Duo MBP's?

- They'll probably be moved to the refurbished section of the Apple online store, and probably have a slight discount compared to their current prices. How much lower, or by what %, we don't know.

#4 - What will be included in the MBP update / refresh?

- Again, no one knows, and many have speculated. Chances are good that it will be processors in Intel's iCore line (i5's, i7's).

A decent speculation can be found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=#post9372554

But again, like everything else here, we don't know for sure.

#5 - Who is this IKnowStuff people keep referring to?

- No one. Never mind. He brought bad promises and has been banished from our conscious minds.

#6 - What is Optimus technology?

- (In a nutshell) A technology (being) developed by graphics processor manufacturer Nvidia that has to do with the computer being able to automatically switch back and forth between a lower powered graphics card and a higher powered dedicated graphics card, depending on which is needed. The different cards affect computer performance versus battery life - something Apple cares deeply about.

#7 - I need a laptop - should I buy now or wait?

If you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, then buy one now. Or wait and buy a Core 2 Duo later at a lower price from the refurb section. The choice is yours.

#8 - If I buy a MBP now, can I return it if new ones come out?

Each vendor has different regulations. Some allow 14 days, some 7. Some require a x% restocking fee, some don't.

Bottom line - check with your vendor (Apple Store, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)

#9 - I don't really need a portable laptop - what's my best price/performance option?

Go with an iMac that suits your budget. Larger screen / faster processor / HD / RAM / etc. than MBPs for equal or less $$.

#10 - Why doesn't Apple like Blu-Ray?

- Many possible reasons: Need to license; continued (future) reliance on physical optical-type drives & space in machines; competes with iTunes / AppleTV as purchase/delivery option for current and future high-end content.

I'm sure there are more...

#11 - Will they have USB 3.0?

Again, we just don't know. Nothing so far has pointed to or away from the possibility.

Hope that helps!
wandrer2 is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:39 AM   #19
Stewahn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Sam View Post
i'm saying the delay is involuntary as in they would have released it in february, if they could. now that they are this close to the new fiscal year, i believe the macbooks might be ready soon, but due to the involuntary delay they might want to release them in april.
fiscal year ends 26th of september:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=Aapl
Stewahn is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Apple.MBPro
macrumors member

...and the saga continues...
Apple.MBPro is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:39 AM   #21
Sn0wball
macrumors regular

What is actually the point of these threads?

No-one knows anything, no-one knows specifications, no-one knows prices, no-one knows of release dates, it's just all hot air.

Yes, I'm waiting for Arrandale. What more is to be said, or could be said?
Sn0wball is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:41 AM   #22
oldgeezers940
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
So, with the iPad being released in April, what was this Best Buy rumour that some guy's dad was a delivery driver for FedEx and delivered a box to Best Buy from Apple saying don't open until March 23rd..?
Probably iPad sales floor material. ex: signs, displays, etc etc
oldgeezers940 is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:41 AM   #23
RhymesWithSeven
macrumors newbie

Tuesdays are a great day.

I'm stuck in meetings all day Monday, and probably is too...

It allows product to be shipped to retail outlets via overnight courier if needed.

Folks have settled into their week, and are prime for info.

There's still lots of week left for action from consumers and reaction by analysts and news media. Talking points they can use all week long.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:42 AM   #24
der Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewahn View Post
fiscal year ends 26th of september:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=Aapl
my bad: end of the 2nd quarter.
der Sam is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:42 AM   #25
6-0 Prolene
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wball View Post
What is actually the point of these threads?

No-one knows anything, no-one knows specifications, no-one knows prices, no-one knows of release dates, it's just all hot air.

Yes, I'm waiting for Arrandale. What more is to be said, or could be said?
Why bother posting? Do you really think anyone is going to read your post and say "Wow, you're right. You've been right all along. Mods, please delete all these threads?"
6-0 Prolene is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland