Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dredragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Hi- I recently had my HDV sony tapes digitized to .mov on my G Drive. When I go to open the video .mov's in Quicktime 7 and final cut express 4 or, Final cut HD, I get only audio, no video (except a white screen). I have added the CODECs (into the quicktime 7 folder). (when I tried opening in Quicktime it wanted all the codecs) I have a Max os X 2.16 intel dual core 2 duo processor.

I also tried converting the .mov into DIVx converted to no avail....WHAT COULD IT BE????? I thought maybe they imported my video wrong? or they opened it and saved it as audio....when I view the .mov it shows a TUNEs icon, not the video preview....

HELP! thanks guys!:)

AppleIntermediateCodec.component
DesktopVideoOut.component
DivX Decoder.component
DivX Encoder.component
DVCPROHDMuxer.component
DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component
FCP Uncompressed 422.component
Google Camera Adapter 0.component
Google Camera Adapter 1.component
LiveType.component
REDCODE.QT.component
SheerVideo™ HD Reader X.qtx
XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
.mov is only a container from QuickTime.

What codec do those .mov files use?

You can either find out via the Movie Inspector inside the QuickTime Player or via Movist and CMD+OPTION+C and select the properties tab there.

dredragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
HDV codec troubles

it says:

HDV 1080i60, 1440 x 1080 (1888 x 1062), Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Left, 48.000 kHz
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Right, 48.000 kHz

ps: check this out - just found this...would this apply? already tried imovie HD and gotsame no video result....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/653423/

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

ps: check this out - just found this...would this apply? already tried imovie HD and gotsame no video result....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/653423/
First off, your HDV video was captured to disc, not "digitized." HDV is already a digital format. Now to the issue at hand. ...

Having read the linked thread, you should now know several things:
  • Your .mov was generated using Final Cut Pro.
  • The codec required to view the .mov file is only available with the purchase of FCP.
  • You could have used iMovie HD or later [or Final Cut Express] to capture the video to disc.
  • If you want to open the video, then you must purchase FCP or return it to the person who "digitized" the tape for continued editing and final processing.
  • You may use iMovie to recapture the original HDV video from tape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.