Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renavoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me with this problem I have with my ibook g3 500mhz (640 MB RAM). It seems that this laptop freezes a lot now. I see it a lot especially after I press F9 to show all windows but there are other times when it does this as well. Specifically by freezing I mean that the dock no longer responds and I can't turn off the computer unless I press the off button. The internet continues to respond however. Any ideas and help would be really appreciated!! Thank you!!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I too have a similar problem. When I use expose (sometimes) the whole computer will freeze up. No dock, no nothing. The only thing that I can do is move the cursor around. I cannot even shut the computer down using the power button. I have to use the command contol power button method. It also does it when I am using Safari. This happens more often then when using expose. This is on a 700mhz iBook G3 14in. Fortunately for me, this is my backup computer and not in regular use for me. Still there are times when I need it. I have done the following: repaired permissions, zapped the PRAM, ran disk utility, run the hardware test disk, done that fsk thing (cannot remember exactly how to do it now, but have it written down somewhere ;) ), and finally given up and done a complete wipe of the hard drive and started over. None of this has fixed the problem, so I am beginning to think that it is software related. Unfortunately this baffles me because I am running the same software on all three machines and I have no problems with my two power machines. But I am out of ideas as to hardware and don't know what else it could be. I am thinking of doing another wipe and clean install and putting on software piece by piece to see what is causing the problem. What do you guys think? Anyone else with any other ideas before I undertake this project? Please :(

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Similar problem...

I've been having a similar problem, where my 600MHz iBook locks up as you describe. In my case the Finder and everything associated with it is frozen - no dock, etc. I eventually discovered it only happens when the Combo Drive (tray type) is closed - the computer is trying to access it and can't, but it just keeps on trying. If I open the drive with a paperclip (the keyboard method doesn't work when the computer's hanging), everything comes back.

There seems to be some chatter that there may be a combo drive epidemic, and that it may be associated with the infamous logic board issue. Is your computer in the serial number range for this problem? Mine is.

I also didn't have a problem before installing 10.3.5, but that's probably just coincidence. What OS are you running?

Good luck.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Video freezing may definately have something to do with the logic board problem.

My wife's G3 700mhz recently started freezing, blipping, starting up blank so I called Apple support. Despite being 1 year out of warrantee with no Apple Care cover, I'm sending it back and they are paying full cost (as per the terms of the Logic Board Replacement Programme)

It only started happening about 1 week ago, but now it's virtually unsuable. It might be worth just giving them a call. Nothing to lose apart from a few cents for the phonecall.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
this sounds like the early stages of the video card problem. . . i had an iBook 700mhz (until i got too fed up with the video and bought a PB) and this sounds like the beginings of the video card problem. what will happen next is lines may form when it freezes. . . white or black verticle lines. then the video will begin to flicker on and off at times. then eventually the video will just be gone. go to http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ and see if you fall in the range, if you do this is likely the start of a long process of sending in your iBook for repairs. . . they are free (with or without apple care) but ive had to send mine in three times already (i gave the old iBook to my little bro so i dont have to deal with it any more. sorry to report such bad news.

renavoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Wow, so it's like a progression of disease, huh? I'm also using 10.3.5 but my iMAC works perfectly (or has until now, knock on wood.) and is using the same OS.

This is an older computer so is there a way to prevent further progression of the logic board problem? For instance, I tend to use the ibook on my bed, especially since getting airport. Do you think that makes it overheat and would that affect the logic board? Sorry, I know very little about computers.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
I just had my third logic board put in my iBook. Take it to a local service center and have them take a look at it because its probably dying. On my last logic board, I started having frequent kernel panics and wierd lockups and crashes of certant apps. Also the video would cut out once and a while. If it is infact the logic board, check apples support site and see if you are eligable for the logic board replacement program. If so, get it replaced on Apples dollar and save yourself the costly repair.

Also you might want to run your hardware diagnostics cd on the laptop, even though it proably wont detect any problems.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
renavoo said:
Wow, so it's like a progression of disease, huh? I'm also using 10.3.5 but my iMAC works perfectly (or has until now, knock on wood.) and is using the same OS.

This is an older computer so is there a way to prevent further progression of the logic board problem? For instance, I tend to use the ibook on my bed, especially since getting airport. Do you think that makes it overheat and would that affect the logic board? Sorry, I know very little about computers.

i believe the serious problem is caused by the location of the main chip on the video card. it is placed to the left of the track pad. so when a laptop is open and one picks it up with their left hand holding to the left of the trackpad it puts pressure on the chip, repeated preassure causes a bad connection or failier in the chip. and with my old iBook i had the video card replaced twice within a couple months b/c my little bro had been moving/using it too much. but after the last time i had it fixed i told my bro to leave the laptop on a table at all times and only move it when it was closed and asleep. so far he has not had any recurring problems using the lap top this way. so hopefully this third video card will last with good care, because i think the logic board extension program expires soon! to quote apple's faq page "The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until December 18, 2004, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed. "

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I am sorry that so many people feel my pain, but it is nice to not be alone. I am on my third logic board and was hoping that it was fixed. I guess it never will be permanently fix. My first two just up and quit, so this is new behavior. Oh well, I have another year of AppleCare so I guess that I will either drive 80 miles to my nearest apple store or give them a call. Good luck to all of you guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.