Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrazyconvict

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Hey, i have done many searches on how to unjailbreak iphones. But i need to be sure before i do it. ( i cannot afford a new one. ) i have heard people saying that if your iphone is jailbroken, and you plug it into your comp for itunes, it will be disabled and you can never use it. my phone came jail broken ( i bought it off ebay. it is a 2G if you need to know that ) i think i got like 4 apps using installulous/cydia. since theni have about 5 pages of apps i bought from the store. i want to upgrade to the new firmware. and want to know it is safe to use itunes. i don't ever need it jailbroken again. i just want it off. i think the jailbroken stuff i have is : caller ID faker, installulous, cydia, Dtunes, Mxtube ( i would love to keep mx tube if possible ), icy and winter board, plus some simple games. it says my iphone "version" is 3.1.2 if you need to know that. i need to get rid of the jailbroken stuff, but i need to keep all of my apps i got from the app store, i need to know, SPECIFICALLY how to save my apps. ive spent about $80 on apps so far, and don't want to loose it. PLEASE JUST HELP IN SPECIFIC, AS IF YOU'RE TELLING SOMEONE WITH ALTIMERS OR SOMETHING. ( caps wan't meant as yelling, just so ya know ) Thank you so much. i just wanna know im safe to do whatever legaly.

dragonc12

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
All you have to do to get rid of a jailbreak is to upgrade to the new firmware. 3.1.3

if you purchased your apps in itunes, they will still be there no matter what. after you upgrade to the new firmware, sync your phone with itunes and your apps will be there (you of course will not be able to keep jailbreak apps.)

now as far as saving app data, there probably isn't a way to do that. (someone correct me if Im wrong...)

Edit:

reading this again, have you ever synced your phone through itunes before? or have you purchased all your apps on the iphone itself? if so you need to sync your phone with itunes BEFORE you upgrade to 3.1.3..

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
Hey, i have done many searches on how to unjailbreak iphones. But i need to be sure before i do it. ( i cannot afford a new one. ) i have heard people saying that if your iphone is jailbroken, and you plug it into your comp for itunes, it will be disabled and you can never use it. my phone came jail broken ( i bought it off ebay. it is a 2G if you need to know that ) i think i got like 4 apps using installulous/cydia. since theni have about 5 pages of apps i bought from the store. i want to upgrade to the new firmware. and want to know it is safe to use itunes. i don't ever need it jailbroken again. i just want it off. i think the jailbroken stuff i have is : caller ID faker, installulous, cydia, Dtunes, Mxtube ( i would love to keep mx tube if possible ), icy and winter board, plus some simple games. it says my iphone "version" is 3.1.2 if you need to know that. i need to get rid of the jailbroken stuff, but i need to keep all of my apps i got from the app store, i need to know, SPECIFICALLY how to save my apps. ive spent about $80 on apps so far, and don't want to loose it. PLEASE JUST HELP IN SPECIFIC, AS IF YOU'RE TELLING SOMEONE WITH ALTIMERS OR SOMETHING. ( caps wan't meant as yelling, just so ya know ) Thank you so much. i just wanna know im safe to do whatever legaly.

OKAY: The only way to safely unjailbreak your iPhone is to plug it in, and click update to new version, or restore. Simple as that.

Shwonx

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
You've got a 2g iphone. There is no waranty, and it is not restricted to being jailbroken on only one firmware.

There will be no legal issues if you plug it into itunes. No one but yourself will even know your phone is jailbroken, so you might as well just keep it that way. There is no downside to it at all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes just plug it to iTunes and click update.
You cannot keep any jb apps on a nonjailbroken iPhone. Just officially purchased AppStore apps. Hacked apps downloaded from instalous won't work either.

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Plugging it Into iTunes won't make you lose anything. Unless you update. Just update to 3.1.3. Since you have a 2g you can still jailbreak if you want to go back. And you cannot keep mxtube if you "unjailbreak"

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Also, if you've bought all these apps on the iPhone itself rather than through iTunes (which it sounds like you've done), make SURE you sync with iTunes BEFORE restoring your iPhone; this will transfer all your apps to iTunes so you can just sync them back to the iPhone later. This will make it a lot easier on you after the restore—under no circumstances would you have to pay for the apps a second time, but this way you won't have to go search for each one and download it again.

As for the "dangers" in this, Apple can't even tell whether you're jailbroken, and they don't bother to check. Whoever told you that connecting your jailbroken iPhone to iTunes would disable it is REALLY badly misinformed; I wouldn't listen to him or her anymore ;)

rCortay

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Jailbroken apps off iPhone? Possible?

Granted, a simple update will remove them.

My question is regarding getting them off prior to a brand new 'sync' with a new systems install.

I recently had a hard-drive go completely belly-up.

Yes, it's' true. I had not backed-up my iTunes library.

I'm a fool. I know.
Lesson learned. (again)

BTAIM, I've Transferred via iTunes my purchased songs/etc, and have used senuti for all other music and audiobooks.

Now I want to grab my apps.

The phone is indeed jailbroken, and of course I have a few installed apps I'd like to keep around.

I seem to remember an app that would allow me to grab the apps, but being somewhat still in shock over all the ***** my lack-of-back-up has been lost, my mind is still a bit numb.

Any help on which app I could use to retrieve/copy-off the apps from my iPhone so I can get back to the sync?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

rCortay

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
But what about NON app-Store apps?

Thanks for your reply and advice Latinist.

The apps to which I refer are NOT from the AppStore, but rather from sites/locations that support apps the did not get published on the AppStore (now defunct Appulo.us being one). As mentioned, my 3G phone (3.1.2) is JailBroken.

Do you know if apps on the iPhone that are NOT in iTunes are erased on sync? I'm sort of guessing now, from a comment on another board, that they're left alone. I've done screen captures of all ten of my iPhone's app screens, so a search for them and installation once more would be a hassle, but not problematic really. Just trying to keep my mantra "work smarter, not harder" in play here.

Thanks again for your reply,

R/C

For App Store Apps, the best thing to do is just re-download the apps from iTunes. You will not have to pay again.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thanks for your reply and advice Latinist.

The apps to which I refer are NOT from the AppStore, but rather from sites/locations that support apps the did not get published on the AppStore (now defunct Appulo.us being one). As mentioned, my 3G phone (3.1.2) is JailBroken.

Do you know if apps on the iPhone that are NOT in iTunes are erased on sync? I'm sort of guessing now, from a comment on another board, that they're left alone. I've done screen captures of all ten of my iPhone's app screens, so a search for them and installation once more would be a hassle, but not problematic really. Just trying to keep my mantra "work smarter, not harder" in play here.

Thanks again for your reply,

R/C

Sounds like you are saying cracked/pirated apps
Off limits here.

Of course if you just stuck with free and paid apps in the App Store and Cydia, this would not be an issue.

Karma comes to call !

rCortay

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
I said nothing of the kind....

...and Cydia installed apps, as well as free ones from other sources, are the apps of which i speak.

If those indeed are left alone, then all is good. I can go on with a relieved sync.

And although outright pessimism doesn't sound like a way to answer questions Lizard, I do appreciate your reply none-the-less.

Thanks.

Rick

Sounds like you are saying cracked/pirated apps
Off limits here.

Of course if you just stuck with free and paid apps in the App Store and Cydia, this would not be an issue.

Karma comes to call !

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

Appulo.us is a site for cracked apps, not free ones rejected by the App Store. Any legitimate free applications you have can easily be re-installed via Cydia (there is a paid package called PkgBackup available from the Cydia store which will automate that process for you).

I am not going to tell you how to preserve your stolen apps.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Appulo.us is a site for cracked apps, not free ones rejected by the App Store. Any legitimate free applications you have can easily be re-installed via Cydia (there is a paid package called PkgBackup available from the Cydia store which will automate that process for you).

+1

@rCortay If you notice I did speak to Cydia apps in my initial reply. Wasn't any pessimism in my post, just calling Appulo.us for what it really is.
There are some places to get outdated but once free Cydia apps, but Appulo.us certainly is not one of them.

rCortay

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
I sit...

...corrected then.

Many of my apps were installed over the last year or so, and as such I wasn't able to recall from where all of them were acquired. My reference to the now defunct Apulous was made after research on places I might have, but not necessarily did, do app acquisition.

BTAIM, I thank you, and dhLizard, for your attention in this manner/matter. (Not sure what "dh" stands for. Maybe there is more than one Lizard here? Or more than one "dh"? Apologies for leaving dh off in my previous reply.)

Wish me luck as it seems that, with your last comment, I should indeed be squared away.

Rick.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
...corrected then.

Many of my apps were installed over the last year or so, and as such I wasn't able to recall from where all of them were acquired. My reference to the now defunct Apulous was made after research on places I might have, but not necessarily did, do app acquisition.

BTAIM, I thank you, and dhLizard, for your attention in this manner/matter. (Not sure what "dh" stands for. Maybe there is more than one Lizard here? Or more than one "dh"? Apologies for leaving dh off in my previous reply.)

Wish me luck as it seems that, with your last comment, I should indeed be squared away.

Rick.

Good deal and as thelatinist says, PkgBackup is a great investment to auto re-install all your Cydia apps. I have used it numerous times and it has always worked flawlessly for me.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Good deal and as thelatinist, PkgBackup is a great investment to auto re-install all your Cydia apps. I have used it numerous times and it has always worked flawlessly for me.

I agree. Well worth the money, and while I have only used it once I found it invaluable when I did.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you unjailbreak

you will loose all apps except those purchased from Apples App store! if you rejailbreak it latter, if you bought something from Cydia. You can get that back as long as you are using the same phone! that's pretty much it! also 1+ PkgBackup

acrazyconvict

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Okay Something Screwed Up I Think!!!

I updated the firware to 3.1.3 or whatever, and now it says it wont support my sim card or whatever, my phone was bought unlocked off ebay so i could use it with tmobile, help FAST!!!!!!!!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I updated the firware to 3.1.3 or whatever, and now it says it wont support my sim card or whatever, my phone was bought unlocked off ebay so i could use it with tmobile, help FAST!!!!!!!!!

Your phone was software unlocked to work with any sim. As soon as you update or restore it to official firmware it will lock up again no matter what. Its not a permanent thing.
If its a 2G you can both unlock and JB it again.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

dragonc12

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009

not trying to be mean or anything...but when you make a thread we need ALL the details! you did not mention the phone being jailbroken and UNLOCKED. you have to have a jailbreak for the phone to be unlocked. if you had mentioned that, the posters here would have recommended that you NOT restore to 3.1.3. it would have been easier keeping it the way it was.

acrazyconvict

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
not trying to be mean or anything...but when you make a thread we need ALL the details! you did not mention the phone being jailbroken and UNLOCKED. you have to have a jailbreak for the phone to be unlocked. if you had mentioned that, the posters here would have recommended that you NOT restore to 3.1.3. it would have been easier keeping it the way it was.

It slipped my mind, sorry, and i know you weren't trying to be mean. And for some reason i thought i had stated everything, but i didn't. so my apologies, and thank you for spotting that and letting me know that.

dragonc12

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
yeah man its just to avoid these types of sticky situations! i know ive made mistakes like that before and it took a world of headache to get my phone back to the way it was. so we all learn our lessons. just something to keep in mind for the future.

but now that that's out of the way, were you able to find any solutions? i was under the impression that 3.1.3 couldn't be unlocked. which means you would have to downgrade back down to 3.1.2 and then jailbreak and unlock...

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wow

I guess op is right it is harder then it looks!

polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.