Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
I have photos worth 8 years of Photos and Videos. I was careful to back up everything in CDs and DVDs.

Versions of iPhoto I used date since iPhoto 4.

I have decided to restore my library and pull out all the old backups. I have noticed that my videos are imported into jpegs. I opened every file in the finder and it still shows as jpeg, even if I convert it back to .mov.

This may have to do with the changing versions of Quicktime overtime.

So my precious family videos are now gone. Aperture 3 does not help to recover them since, even if it would do better, there is no way to import the iPhoto library directly to Aperture without spending hours pickling hundreds of folders the CD backup has.

If I have the backup CD in the drive, with hiccups, but it does play the videos for as long as they are not imported into iPhoto.

I guess I am left with Spotlight to look for any possible videos through every backup I've made. Yet, I have to guess the possible formats I must search for: .mov, .avi, .MPEG, etc.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks!:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.