Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyrz06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Hello, I am new to Apple Computers and just bought a 15" mbp and apple tv. I now have my itune library on my mbp using my itouch and I have a lot of movies and tv shows. It is taking forever to sync my itunes library over the air. My router is upstairs so I cannot use a ethernet connection from that. I was wondering if their was a cable that I could use to sync my itunes library with my apple tv something to connect between the two. And is their a setting to do this. I tried a ethernet cable but the apple tv thought I was trying to make a internet connection. Please help out a noobie Thank you.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Couldn't you just bring the :apple:TV upstairs to the router and connect directly via ethernet (guessing from your post you tried to connect the :apple:TV directly to your MBP)? My kids :apple:TV is upstairs across the house from my router as well. Since I only occasionally add a movie or two to their unit, wireless works fine for these small syncs but for the first sync, I just connected directly to my router via ethernet.

As Dan suggested, streaming is an option but I'm also guessing if your wireless connection is weak, might not be the best solution.

johnnyrz06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
So you are saying unplug the Apple Tv and plug it in upstairs next to the router and plug in the ethernet cable. I do not have to have any hdmi or any other cable to make it turn on? and this will sync faster? Thank you for the help

dekinseattle

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
power cable would be necessary

- but as long as you have your MBP with you via iTunes you can control the :apple:TV - you only need the HDMI cable to hook up to a TV to view the content

johnnyrz06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
I brought the router down stairs and it synced in no time. Thank you all for your help, I also found that the best setting on my Panasonic Kuro is 720p. I wish we could get some 1080p downloads but that would probably need a much faster connection then we have now. Thank you all again you have all been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.