Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find the best way/settings to use for preparing Flash videos to replace the existing Quicktime videos on my website, but so far I can't get smooth playback with Flash content, even when the file sizes are smaller than the Quicktime files that play just fine.

Current site: Quicktime video, 22.7mb.

Test page: Flash video, 14.2mb

In my tests, the current page with the Quicktime file streams just fine. The Flash video makes the whole page load slower, and then doesn't play smoothly. What am I doing wrong?

The reason I'm interested in switching to Flash, is that I'm using a Flash-based drop-down menu, and it's interfering with Quicktime video content on my site – the menu always drops behind the video. With Flash, the menu will drop down on top of the video, as you can see on the test page when you go to Corporate Marketing > Web Design (on my current page I've pushed the video down on the page a bit to avoid this problem for now).

I'm using the MaxiMenu plugin for Dreamweaver. I contacted them about the issue, and they offered a code to wrap my Quicktime video content in, changing it's z-index to move it underneath the Flash menu. This seemed to work, but then I lost functionality with the playback controls.

I also contacted my hosting service and they just told me to cut the bitrate and framerate of the video to make it play more smoothly. I hesitate to believe this is necessary when my 29.97 fps/1000kbps Quicktime video plays with no issues.

So, now I turn to MacRumors! Can anyone offer a better solution?

Much appreciated!

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Look into changing the wmode of the flash object to get it to display above/below other content

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You do know flash is on the way out?

You can just upload it to Youtube which will transcode into both flash and iPhone capable video.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri

You can just upload it to Youtube which will transcode into both flash and iPhone capable video.

I suppose so, but I'm not a fan of Youtube's embedded video interface. If I can figure out the wmode layering as samwich mentioned, I'd rather do that and keep my Quicktime videos.

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009

Flash isn't going anywhere any time soon. Regardless of what Steve Jobs says. If any thing flash is going to incorporate better play black and increase it's abilities of H264. HTML5 will not be ready for some time and then everyone has to get up to speed on it. This statement is utter nonsense.

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
I'd recommend using around 12-15fps. From I recall, most flash videos are in that range. I don't remember what I did for bitrate, but I tried to keep that fairly low too. This is based on settings I used for videos that were about an hour long. Maybe you could use higher settings for shorter videos. For me, the issue was that videos were gonna be huge if I used higher settings. If you don't have ffmpegx, get a copy and export with a variety of settings and compare.

Groovetube

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Flash isn't going anywhere any time soon. Regardless of what Steve Jobs says. If any thing flash is going to incorporate better play black and increase it's abilities of H264. HTML5 will not be ready for some time and then everyone has to get up to speed on it. This statement is utter nonsense.

yup. Utter nonsense.

Actually, to the OP, I tested both your pages here, and the one with the lfash video, loaded way faster, and was actually better. the quicktime page the page content was waaaay slower coming down.

Often when I code up video players in hybrid pages,, I put in a small delay before my player starts actually loading the video to give the html content time load in. Just a small thing to make things go well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.