Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonycelia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Hey,

I'm new here. I have a RAM questions. I am running Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 on my macbook. It has 4 gigs of ram and a 2.4 processor. I am currently running into the problem of CPU shortage while recording and mixing even when all my buffer speeds and stuff are set to the highest. I am looking to get an iMac for recording only. I will basically only run Pro Tools and the internet on that machine. I am looking at the 21.5 in with 4 gigs of RAM and 3.06 processor. Is upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM worth the $200? Will I see a whole new world with it or should I be fine with 4 gigs. My processor will be a huge upgrade from what i have now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ImpostorOak

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
If I quit all other programs, I usually don't have any issues with RAM on my MBP (2GB RAM). I just bought an iMac with 4GB and I expect to have no issues. Of course, if you don't want to worry about how many applications you have open at once (or if you regularly work with very large sessions), more RAM can never hurt.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
That's because higher buffer isn't always better. You may need to DECREASE the buffer size in order to help your computer out. I was running Pro Tools on my G4 MBP with 2 Gigs of RAM. I didn't use that many tracks, but your problems seem to stem from the buffer settings.

(CRACKS OPEN PRO TOOLS MANUAL)

"Lower Hardware Buffer Size setting reduce monitoring latency, and are useful when you are recording live input.

Higher Hardware Buffer Size settings allow for more audio processing and effects, and are useful when you are mixing and using more RTAS plug-ins."

Also try increasing your Playback Engine percentage.

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to help.

RHELF

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
My response may be better verified by one of the guys in the hardware forums, but I believe that 4gb or ram is the max that the processor at 32 bits can access. Running 64 bits will allow you to access more RAM. One of the major updates to Logic Studio 9 was the ability to run at 64 bits so you CAN access all that extra RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.