Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I know I still have a month until launch (4 weeks exactly!) but I want to start converting some of my videos and movies (200+ gigs) into an iPad friendly format. Anyone have any suggestions? Pretty much all the files I have are .avi if that makes a difference...

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Well the iPad has a higher resolution screen than the iPad so I would like to take advantage of that. And yes the iPad does max out at 64gb so a bitrate that maximized compression while still having decent quality would be ideal. Oh and I do realize I will not be able to fit my whole movie collection on my iPad but I'd like to be able to sync any movie I have to it before a long trip.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
u can set handbrake for any resolution u choose. a preset is for the laziest of the lazy.

sigh. (as if I know the extent of your knowledge. PLUS, I wrote that for ALL readers--not just YOU)

Your lazy comment sparked the response
Having a preset doesn't necessarily make one lazy
It can be more efficient
It also can be helpful for those who are not proficient or knowledgeable

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
u can set handbrake for any resolution u choose. a preset is for the laziest of the lazy.
Well since you are an expert (and must have an iPad to test on) please tell us the best settings to use in HB so I don't have to wait my lazy self on.:D

I plan on waiting and seeing what presets HB offers while experimenting on a few movies before going "hog wild". I hope to use 1024x576/160Kbps audio (1.78) and 1024x436/160Kbps audio (2.35).

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Your lazy comment sparked the response
Having a preset doesn't necessarily make one lazy
It can be more efficient
It also can be helpful for those who are not proficient or knowledgeable

set up handbrake for h.264

set the width to your screen's horizontal pixel count.

leave the vertical setting BLANK

save as a custom preset if setting those items is all that onerous.

you are good to go.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

you are good to go.

I asked for specif settings for the iPad (as the OP did) and not generalities.:eek: I asked this same question on the HB forum a month ago and one of the developers (bet he knows more about HB settings than you and I combined;)) gave this answer.

dynaflash HandBreak Developer said:
Trust me when I say there will be no officially endorsed iPad preset until a dev has one in hand and can wring it out. Too many variables and unknowns. Apple is notoriously underrated on their published specs. Patience is a virtue in this case.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I've never used handbrake before but I will download it soon. Thank you everyone.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
to the OP, I've actually been doing the same thing and copying all of my personal DVDs to my computer so that I can then re-play them on my Apple TV, iPhone and soon to be iPad. Everyone has their own opinion on how to encode videos using Handbrake, this is mine. I've figured out that by selecting the iPhone preset and then upscaling the video, that will give me the same quality of video as iTunes does. pre-selecting the Apple Tv quality won't make it compatible with my iPhone or iPod nano, only Apple TV.

I did a lot of testing and I finally settled on one that makes me happy.

1. On the right Preset panel, Select iPhone & iPod touch.

2. I then manually changed the Quality to 1800 kbps. Also, make sure the Video Codec is set to H.264 (it should already be selected)

3.Then go into your Picture Setting on the top panel, and change the Anamorphic quality to Strict (this should give you the original quality of the video)

4. I personally use these filter settings to give me a nice clean image.

5. this is just a video preview of what the video will look like. Handbrake lets you preview 10-15-20-30 seconds of the video before you spend 2 hours encoding the video.

Final Result

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009

you are good to go.

What if someone is converting a 720x480 video? It makes no sense to set a 1024 horizontal pixel count. It would be best to use 720x480 anamorphic setting, or use 640x480 anamorphic encode to save space, and possibly even lower. What if they want AC-3 passthrough for a file that will play on their iPad/iPhone but also produce 6-channel sound on the Apple TV?

This is why presets are great. My suggestion is to use the Universal preset. It produces file that work great with iPod, iPhone, Apple TV and most likely the iPad.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the guide saving107 but sadly I don't have a mac :p hopefully the windows version will be similar enough

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for the guide saving107 but sadly I don't have a mac :p hopefully the windows version will be similar enough

It is.

If you are converting a DVD, you will need a program like DVD43 to decrypt the DVD's protection for Handbrake to read it, or you can use a program like DVD Shrink to rip only the main movie to your drive, then convert the VIDEO_TS folder. Handbrake, DVD43 and DVDShrink are all free programs.

I suggest using the Apple Universal preset. 9/10 it will give you a great rip... sometimes you will have to be careful about aspect ratios and cropping though, but that's what the preview feature is for. But in most cases, its as simple as hitting the Universal Preset, hit preview, then if you like what you see, hit convert.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I just use the universal preset, its easy and it works on all apple products.

jenniferrung

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
The ipod friendly video format is MP4 format. I guess you must get a lot of suggestions of video converters.

But here I want to suggest you a specifically desgined video to ipod converter. It will help you to convert any video to iPod video format.

hope will help. You can google moyea video to ipod converter to find it.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
For now, use the Apple Universal Preset if you want to make sure the file works on everything Apple.

If you just care about the iPad, use the Apple TV preset and change the dimensions to fit the iPad's.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If you have a main machine running and you don't want to convert all, I'm sure here wa an iPhone app that could ship to the iPad that basically used the main majone to stream the video to the iPhone. No need to convert in that case. Though I'd imagine you'd want some stored locally on te iPad in the correct format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.