Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Toe
macrumors 65816

Is my Centris 660av a collectors item yet?

The Centris 660av was one of the shortest-lived Apple models, and I would guess it was one of the rarest. It was only in production for two months before it was replaced with the almost-identical Quadra 660av. (The Centris name had been introduced as a "low end" Quadra with the Centris 610, but after the 660av came out, they merged the brands for simplification purposes.)

I have what is, last time I checked, a working Centris 660av. Well, the hard drive is gone, but it has an external SCSI drive that boots it. That drive could probably be put inside.

I am in the process of moving, and really need to down-size my stuff. The Centris has no use to me (it's 25 MHz... yes Mega), but I love the kitschiness of how rare it was.

I saw one go on eBay for $10. Hardly a fitting end for such a cool Mac (a pizza box, as these models were called). Can anyone help me find a better home for it?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:36 AM   #2
840quadra

I don't think it is going to go up in value for a while yet. I personally love the systems, and agree with the idea that it should be worth more though .

I still find a use for my 840av, typing up blogs and actually listening to CDs. Gotta love the built in DSP for sound recoridng too .
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
It is a collector's item but I doubt you will be able to get much for it (esp since it has no HD). Many people just don't have space for these old Macs (but I would pay good money for a IIfx)....

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
Centris 660av, PowerMac 6100, Performa 6116, Quadra 660av, same form factor. These have been desirable systems in the past, but good luck selling a machine with no hard drive.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5
gkarris
macrumors 604

Yes, they're cool - you need to get it in working order...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:17 PM   #6
BittenApple
macrumors 6502a

I can get your a SCSI drive if you would like.
BittenApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:16 PM   #7
CCornell
macrumors newbie

Centris 660av

Toe, I would be interested in buying this from you. Thanks.
CCornell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Meldar
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Meldar Send a message via AIM to Meldar Send a message via MSN to Meldar Send a message via Yahoo to Meldar Send a message via Skype™ to Meldar
I've got a working one as well, only it's got a hard drive in and boots 7.5.3 - and I'm not selling it. Even if I was the one who technically owned it, I wouldn't sell it.

But that's ok, because there seems to be someone who will. :P
Meldar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

All I got was $15 for a complete Centris 650 earlier this summer. Thats completely functioning fresh install of OS 8.1, Apple monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately, to most people its still just an old 68k Mac. Granted yours is a later AV, but I still wouldn't expect much.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:53 PM   #10
macuserfan1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
The Centris 660av was one of the shortest-lived Apple models, and I would guess it was one of the rarest. It was only in production for two months before it was replaced with the almost-identical Quadra 660av. (The Centris name had been introduced as a "low end" Quadra with the Centris 610, but after the 660av came out, they merged the brands for simplification purposes.)

I have what is, last time I checked, a working Centris 660av. Well, the hard drive is gone, but it has an external SCSI drive that boots it. That drive could probably be put inside.

I am in the process of moving, and really need to down-size my stuff. The Centris has no use to me (it's 25 MHz... yes Mega), but I love the kitschiness of how rare it was.

I saw one go on eBay for $10. Hardly a fitting end for such a cool Mac (a pizza box, as these models were called). Can anyone help me find a better home for it?

This system is definitely worth money now...even for parts. I have a working 660av and am trying to determine it's value before selecting a site to sell it on.

Were you able to sell yours? With or without hard disk? Were you able to test it? How much did it go for?
macuserfan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:46 AM   #11
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

I would have to imagine no Mac's or Apple's are of particular value yet (> $1,000). Except for the Apple I, or possibly a Lisa. They just aren't old enough yet.

Many years have to pass, and many units have to be trashed before what you own becomes "rare". This also goes for merchandise, no Think Different poster is going to have much value unless it has Steve's autograph or something.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:11 AM   #12
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
I would have to imagine no Mac's or Apple's are of particular value yet (> $1,000). Except for the Apple I, or possibly a Lisa. They just aren't old enough yet.

Many years have to pass, and many units have to be trashed before what you own becomes "rare". This also goes for merchandise, no Think Different poster is going to have much value unless it has Steve's autograph or something.
Quite a few of the rarer models are. The original Macintosh, with all original packaging, can go for over $1000. The TAM (Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh) in pristine condition, with all original accessories can go for that much.

Of course, plenty of system can go for that as a "modern used computer" still, even though they're quite obsolete. (Fully loaded quad-core G5, for example.)

Some of the "not released in the US" models can fetch a pretty penny due to rarity. (PowerBook 550c, PowerBook 2400c, etc.)

The Centris 660av is in a special position - it wasn't a particularly impressive system, but it is one of the few 68k "AV" machines, along with having the extremely short-lived "Centris" name. That said, neither of those makes it truly expensive at this point. If you want to get a decent amount of money, you'll have to do the "list it on eBay for a fairly high starting price over and over, and just wait for someone to bid that." It might have to be up for months, though, so you'd better be patient.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:25 PM   #13
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post

Oh I'd say the Macintosh 128K, TAM and Original Apple ][ all go for over $1000 these days, even in the USA.

Tip for sellers of vintage Apple items: Europeans will pay a lot more than American's because they are much harder to come by.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors